Title and statement of responsibility area
Social Service Department records
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of series.
Level of description
CA ON00343 TG fonds-TG 16
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Toronto General Hospital. Social Service Department
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Medical social service at the TGH began in 1911 with the founding of the Social Service Department, largely at the instigation of the medical staff, particularly Dr. Helen MacMurchy. The Department was administered by the Hospital but was largely supported by volunteer groups who raised funds to subsidize the salaries of Department staff. In particular, the Department was supported by a group successively called the Ladies’ Committee (1911-1921) and the Social Service Association (1921- ). Department staff provided in-home medical follow-up and counseling assistance for patients in various TGH departments, particularly the various Out-Patient clinics, including the Maternity Department (providing service to “illegitimate” births) from 1914, the Psychiatric Clinic (1920-1926), the Special Treatment (Venereal Disease) Clinic from 1915-1943, the Diabetic Clinic from 1924, and the Radiology Clinic and Ontario Institute of Radiotherapy from 1929.
Norah Holman (1911-?), Jane Grant (?-1918), Mabel Knisely (1919-1945), Isobel Deeth (1946-1955) and Margaret Reid (1955-?) served as Director of the Department.
The 1950s, in particular, were a period of growth in the Department: in 1950 the staff consisted of the Director, 11 medical social workers, and 3 clerical assistants; by 1958 it included the Director, 25 social workers and 5 clerical assistants.
Scope and content
Series consists of a copy of a booklet published in 1950 by the Social Service Association: Social Service in the Toronto General Hospital 1911-1949: A History of the Association and an Account of the Growth and Development of the Social Service Department.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records in this series were transferred to the Archives in February 1988 by the Office of the President.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list is available.
Correspondence and reports pertaining to the activities of the Social Service Department/Association are located in the Correspondence of the Superintendent 1928 ff. (TG 2.2 ff.)
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Toronto General Hospital (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
University Health Network
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Last Updated: March 26, 2013. Added to Archeion April 2, 2013.
Language of description