Contact principal485 Windermere Road P.O. Box 487
CA N6A 4X3
The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of Hamilton was first incorporated on December 30, 1879 under chapter 167 of the Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1877. The name was changed to The Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton in 1989. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of London, in Ontario was first incorporated on February 15, 1891 under chapter 92 of the Statutes of Ontario, 1870-1. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of Peterborough was incorporated on May 1, 1893 under chapter 172 of the Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1887. The Sisters of St. Joseph for the Diocese of Pembroke in Canada was first incorporated by letters patent dated January 21, 1922 under the Ontario Companies Act.
These four congregations were amalgamated into one charitable corporation under the name Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Act, a Private Act of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario which received Royal Assent on June 13, 2013.
The main archives contains the business records of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada from November 18, 2012 onward. It also contains the records of the Hamilton, London and Pembroke archives.
The main archives is located in a LEED gold certified building built in 2007, which is brick with steel studding and which has a flat membrane roof with reflective coating. The archives comprises 635 square feet of which 380 square feet are used for storage. Records are also stored off-site in a records storage facility in London, Ontario.
The Peterborough neighborhood archives is located in a LEED gold certified building built in 2009 which is steel and concrete with a flat rubber membrane roof. The archives comprises 380 square feet of which 226 square feet is used for records storage.
Highlights of the Hamilton archives include records of St. Mary's Orphanage, Mount St. Joseph Centre, missions in Guatemala and Jamaica, the House of Providence and St. Joseph's Villa, Bethany House, St. Joseph's Spirituality Centre, and many other ministries carried out by the Sisters. There are extensive administrative and decision making records as well as artifacts.
Highlights of the London archives include annals of missions across Canada; records of the Mount Saint Joseph Orphanage; Mount Saint Joseph Academy; and St. Joseph's School of Music. There are also records of hospitals in Galahad, Killam, Stettler and Rimbey, AB; Chatham and Sarnia, ON; and St. Joseph's Hospital and School of Nursing in London, ON. Included among the community annals are records for many convents and ministries such as Josephs' House for Refugees; St. Joseph's Hospitality Centre; and the Detox Centre.
Highlights of the Peterborough archives include records relating to the Peterborough congregation’s ministries, primarily in health care and education in Ontario and western Canada, as well as in Brazil. Holdings include community annals, photographs and some artifacts.
Highlights of the Pembroke archives include photographs, artifacts, and annals, including of the mission in Peru.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada. (2018). The St. Joseph Motherhouse Chapel, Hamilton, Ontario. Hamilton. 43 p
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada. (2017). Immaculate Conception Chapel. London. 106 p
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada. (2016). The Sisters of St. Joseph-Historical Windsor Sites. London. 107 p.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada. (2014). The Sisters of St. Joseph: Historical London Sites. London. 64 p
Sisters of St.Joseph. (1993). As The Tree Grows. Celebrating 100 Years Of The Sisters Of St. Joseph Peterborough 1890 – 1990. Peterborough. 492 p
Sisters of St. Joseph (1971). The Congregation of Sisters of St. Joseph of Pembroke 1921-1971. Pembroke, ON: Donald F. Runge. 236 p
The main archives is open by appointment only Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30 EST.
Closed on public holidays.
Any visits to the main archives must be arranged in advance with the Congregational Archivist.
The neighborhood archives in Hamilton, London, Peterborough and Pembroke are now closed. Inquiries should be directed to the Congregational Archivist.
Records containing personal information are restricted according to best practices as per the provincial Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Copies of textual and photographic records are provided for research purposes only and responsibility for questions of copyright that may arise in their use are assumed by the recipient.
Some records are restricted to the public.
The photographs featured on Archeion come from the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives and, to the best of our knowledge, there are no copyright restrictions associated with them because they are either in the public domain, or the copyright is owned by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada, or there is no known copyright. These images are intended for private reference and research, and we cannot assume liability for any other use of these photographs. The images on the website are in jpeg format.
The images must not be altered or manipulated in any way. The images must not be used for commercial purposes. Proper credit must be given when any image is used, as follows:
Images courtesy of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives.
We are committed to observing copyright law. If we have inadvertently infringed on the intellectual property rights of copyright holders with respect to these photographs, please don't hesitate to contact us with specific details at:
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives
P.O. Box 487
485 Windermere Road
London, ON N6A 4X3
June 19, 2014
March 29, 2018
October 30, 2018
November 13, 2018