Primary contact485 Windermere Road P.O. Box 487
CA N6A 4X3
The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of Hamilton was first incorporated on December 30, 1879 under chapter 167 of the Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1877. The name was changed to The Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton in 1989. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of London, in Ontario was first incorporated on February 15, 1891 under chapter 92 of the Statutes of Ontario, 1870-1. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of Peterborough was incorporated on May 1, 1893 under chapter 172 of the Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1887. The Sisters of St. Joseph for the Diocese of Pembroke in Canada was first incorporated by letters patent dated January 21, 1922 under the Ontario Companies Act.
These four congregations were amalgamated into one charitable corporation under the name Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Act, a Private Act of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario which received Royal Assent on June 13, 2013.
The main archives collects the business records of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada and their missions across the world. Most records are received through transfer. We also accept gifts. However, the archives does not accept loans.
The neighborhood archives in Hamilton, London, Peterborough and Pembroke collected the records of the formerly independent congregations, including of the ministries and missions of the sisters who were members of each community.
The main archives contains the business records of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada from November 18, 2012 onward.
The Hamilton neighborhood archives is located in a stone building built in 1950 which has a copper roof which is both flat and pitched, and which was renovated in 2005. The archives is 569 feet in total with 469 square feet used for records storage. There are 166.9 cubic feet of records in boxes and file cabinets, 131.5 linear feet of boxed manuscripts and photographs, and 230 feet of artifacts in a separate area.
The London neighborhood and the main archives are located in a LEED gold certified building built in 2007, which is brick with steel studding and which has a flat membrane roof with reflective coating. The archives comprises 635 square feet of which 380 square feet are used for storage. It contains 262.61 cubic feet of records in boxes, map and file cabinets. There are 106.50 linear feet of boxed manuscripts and photographs and 33.58 linear feet of artifacts.
The Peterborough neighborhood archives is located in a LEED gold certified building built in 2009 which is steel and concrete with a flat rubber membrane roof. The archives comprises 380 square feet of which 226 square feet is used for records storage. There are 142.91 cubic feet of records in boxes and file cabinets. Boxed manuscripts and photographs take up 127.93 linear feet and artifacts take up 19.36 linear feet.
The Pembroke neighborhood archives are located in a concrete cement block building built in 1954 which has a partial tar and gravel roof and a membrane roof. The archives is 240 square feet with 187 square feet used for records storage. There are 100.48 cubic feet of records in boxes and file cabinets, 109 linear feet of boxed manuscripts and photographs and 8 feet of artifacts.
Highlights of the Hamilton neighborhood archives include St. Mary's Orphanage records including orphanage account books, first communion and confirmation records and orphans festival records. There are records for St. Joseph's Hospital in Guelph which also administered St. Joseph's Home for the Aged and a training school for nurses; St. Joseph's Hospital in Hamilton which also had a School of Nursing; The House of Providence in Dundas; St. Mary's General Hospital and School of Nursing in Kitchener; and St. Joseph's Hospital in Brantford.
Highlights of the London neighborhood archives include annals of missions across Canada; records of the Mount Saint Joseph Orphanage; Mount Saint Joseph Academy; and St. Joseph's School of Music. There are also records of hospitals in Galahad, Killam, Stettler and Rimbey, AB; Chatham and Sarnia, ON; and St. Joseph's Hospital and School of Nursing in London, ON. Included among the community annals are records for many convents and ministries such as Josephs' House for Refugees; St. Joseph's Hospitality Centre; and the Detox Centre.
Highlights of the Peterborough neighborhood archives include records relating to the Peterborough congregation’s ministries, primarily in health care and education in Ontario and western Canada, as well as in Brazil. Holdings include community annals, photographs and some artifacts.
Highlights of the Pembroke neighborhood archives include photographs, videotapes, artifacts, textiles and annals. There are student records of the Teachers' College in Chapeau, Quebec.
The main archives is open
only Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30 EST.
Closed on public holidays.
Any visits to the
must be arranged
in advance with
The neighborhood archives in Hamilton, London, Peterborough and Pembroke are now closed.
Reference inquiries may be directed to the part-time
archivists at the
Records containing personal information are restricted according to best practices as per the provincial Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Copies of textual and photographic records are provided for research purposes only and responsibility for questions of copyright that may arise in their use are assumed by the recipient.
Some records are restricted to the public.
The photographs featured on Archeion come from the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives and, to the best of our knowledge, there are no copyright restrictions associated with them because they are either in the public domain, or the copyright is owned by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada, or there is no known copyright. These images are intended for private reference and research, and we cannot assume liability for any other use of these photographs. The images on the website are in jpeg format.
The images must not be altered or manipulated in any way. The images must not be used for commercial purposes. Proper credit must be given when any image is used, as follows:
Images courtesy of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives.
We are committed to observing copyright law. If we have inadvertently infringed on the intellectual property rights of copyright holders with respect to these photographs, please don't hesitate to contact us with specific details at:
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives
P.O. Box 487
485 Windermere Road
London, ON N6A 4X3