Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Rockton - Sheffield Pastoral Charge (Ont.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Sheffield Pastoral Charge contained preaching points at Sheffield, Branchton and Westover. The first denomination in the area was the Methodist Church which operated the Sheffield Circuit.
Also in the region were German-speakers who were ministered to by the United Brethren in Christ Church, and later the United Brethren Association of Congregational Churches. The Sheffield Brethren church joined with the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1916, and that church joined in the United Church in 1925.
In Branchton, Ontario a joint Methodist and Brethren Church operated for a half-century with Methodist assistance from St. George, Ontario, prior to a 1910 secession of the church from the Methodist Church Canada. In that same year, the St. George Presbyterian Church in Canada sent assistance to the congregation in Branchton, where a Session was established in 1911. This church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Branchton United Church closed in 1971.
Westover, Ontario was served by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1863. Sometime after the church union period (1874-1884), the work at Westover was abandoned, and was subsequently picked up by the United Church in 1928.