Rockton - Sheffield Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Rockton - Sheffield Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Sheffield Pastoral Charge contained preaching points at Sheffield, Branchton and Westover. The first denomination in the area was the Methodist Church which operated the Sheffield Circuit.
Also in the region were German-speakers who were ministered to by the United Brethren in Christ Church, and later the United Brethren Association of Congregational Churches. The Sheffield Brethren church joined with the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1916, and that church joined in the United Church in 1925.
In Branchton, Ontario a joint Methodist and Brethren Church operated for a half-century with Methodist assistance from St. George, Ontario, prior to a 1910 secession of the church from the Methodist Church Canada. In that same year, the St. George Presbyterian Church in Canada sent assistance to the congregation in Branchton, where a Session was established in 1911. This church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Branchton United Church closed in 1971.
Westover, Ontario was served by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1863. Sometime after the church union period (1874-1884), the work at Westover was abandoned, and was subsequently picked up by the United Church in 1928.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC