File 2011.16.2.5 - School Board Blueprints

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

School Board Blueprints

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Repository

Reference code

CA ON00154 2011.16.2.5

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 194- (Creation)
    Creator
    Dr. M.S. Hawkins Senior Public School
    Place
    Port Hope, Municipality of

Physical description area

Physical description

11 blueprints

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1955-)

Administrative history

According to Dr. M.S. Hawkins' School History: The Ontario Legislature changed Grammar School to High School and Common School to Public School in 1871. Because the public school was free, the new public school became crowded and the High School moved out. Thomas Watson became principal of the public school and in 1883 a new wing was added making 11 classrooms.
The High School moved to the "old Kirk" building on Brown Street in 1873. Here there were three teachers - four forms - 50 boys and 32 girls. Dr. Purslow was headmaster. It was moved from the "old Kirk" to the northwest corner of Brown & Bedford Streets in 1896 and from there to a newly built high school on the corner of Pine & Bedford Streets, which cost $12,000. It was officially opened by the Hon. G. W. Ross, Minister of Education on 11 Jan 1897.
A new high school was built in 1955 and the old one was converted into Dr. M.S. Hawkins Senior Public School (a Junior High School for grades 7 & 8). In 1960, six classrooms were added.
Dr. Morgan Stanford Hawkins (1876-1960) was elected to the Board of Public School Trustees in 1924 and served on the board until 1947. In his honour the former Port Hope High School was renamed and dedicated as the "Dr. M.S. Hawkins School" on 24 Nov 1957.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of eleven (11) blueprints for "Proposed Alterations to West Primary School;" "Retaining Wall at Port Hope Public School;" "Proposed Wall North Side of Central School," c. 1940s.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

2011.16.2.5

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area