Record group RG15 - Royal Ontario Museum of Palaeontology records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Royal Ontario Museum of Palaeontology records

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Record group

    Reference code

    CA ON00259 RG15

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1912-1950 (Creation)
      Royal Ontario Museum of Palaeontology

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator


    Administrative history

    The Royal Ontario Museum of Palaeontology (ROMP) was created in 1912 by Bill 138 in the Ontario Legislature. By-laws under that act allowed departments of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) to be designated as the ‘Royal Ontario Museum of…’. The Museum of Palaeontology was one of the five museums making up the Royal Ontario Museum.

    The ROM was controlled and managed by a Board of Trustees, with each department headed by a director. The first director of the ROMP was Professor William Arthur Parks. In 1955, the ROM was reorganized, and the separate museums became divisions, with ROMP becoming the division of Zoology and Palaeontology (later changed to the Earth Sciences Sciences division.)

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Series consists of annual reports, financial records and correspondence of the Royal Ontario Museum of Palaeontology (ROMP), as well as a history of the museum. Also included are plans and records relating to the 1931 building, as well as artwork for the Palaeontology galleries and a book.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Five files of correspondence by Madeline Fritz were removed from the RG96 Library & Archives fonds in August 2017. It is not clear why these files were included in the Library fonds but it is possible that they were stored in the Paleontology Library at the time of the libraries amalgamation in 1961.


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        There are no restrictions on access.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials


        General note

        A note in the old finding aid states that the G.A. Reid murals were moved to SC105, originals stored on top of shelving beside wooden cabinet. Individually wrapped in acid-free tissue Dec. 22/87. These are now stored at the back of the Library stacks on the top shelf. Each is wrapped in Tyvek. The large George Reid canvases were removed from the gallery and are in the Paleontology collections storage. Some framed George Reid paintings are stored in the office areas of the Paleontology Department.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions



        Level of detail


        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        3/3/2023 E. Thomas (Creation)

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area