Record group RG12 - Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology records

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Record group

Reference code

CA ON00259 RG12

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1903-1956 (Creation)
    Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology

Physical description area

Physical description

12 boxes of textual and photographic records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology (ROMA) was created in 1912 by a bill in the Ontario legislature, ‘An act to provide for the establishment of provincial museum’, known as ‘The Royal Ontario Museum Act. By-laws under that act allowed departments of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) to be designated as the ‘Royal Ontario Museum of…’. The ROMA was one of the five museums making up the Royal Ontario Museum.

The ROM was controlled and managed by a Board of Trustees, with each department headed by a director. Charles Trick Currelly was the first director of ROMA. In 1955 the ROM was reorganized, and the separate museums became divisions, with ROMA becoming the division of Art and Architecture, supervised by a head.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of records relating to the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology, prior to the 1955 amalgamation. Most of the documents in the first half of the series are from C.T. Currelly. Also included are records relating to the controversy over the Beardmore Relics, records from George Crofts, and various field notes.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


This record group is arranged into the following sub-series:
RG12.1: History [empty as of November, 1994]
RG12.2: Annual reports of the ROMA and other museums
RG12.3: C.T. Currelly’s incoming and outgoing correspondence
RG12.4: Financial accounts
RG12.5: Accession records
RG12.6: Internal memoranda
RG12.7: Newspaper clippings
RG12.8: Photographic material
RG12.9: Beardmore relics. Note: File Beardmore Relics – General Correspondence 1969-1974 contains correspondence regarding the donation of O. C. Elliot’s papers to the ROM.
RG12.10: George Crofts collection
RG12.11: Pound Village site
RG12.12: Peruvian textile collections
RG12.13: Miscellaneous records

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      There are no restrictions on access.

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Associated materials


      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions



      Level of detail


      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      3/3/2023 E. Thomas (Creation)

      Language of description

        Script of description


          Accession area