Title and statement of responsibility area
Royal Military College of Canada fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00093 000.7 (D8-D28)
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
5.58 m of textual records (30 Boxes)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Royal Military College opened in Kingston on 1 June 1876 with 18 cadets, staffed by British military officers and one Canadian civilian. Queen Victoria conferred the title "Royal" in 1878. The first class graduated on 2 July 1880. Before the First World War most ex-cadets took up civilian professions, especially engineering, and 4 graduates received commissions annually in the British army. After 1919 the Royal Military College was staffed by Canadians. Graduates were required to serve in either the active forces of the Crown or the Canadian Militia. The RMC engineering course was recognized as a qualification to practise the profession; certain Canadian universities and provincial law societies accepted RMC graduates to take degrees or diplomas in a final year. Many former cadets held high military rank during the Second World War. The College closed in 1942 but was reopened in 1948 as one of the tri-service Canadian Service Colleges. From 1954 the Regular Officers Training Plan required all Canadian Service Colleges graduates to take a regular commission, but a small Reserve Entry was re-established in 1961. From 1959 RMC granted degrees, and graduate courses were added in 1964. Since the 1970's it has offered bilingual instruction. Women students were first admitted in 1979. In 1995 le Collège militaire royale de Saint-Jean, the Royal Roads Military College and the Royal Military College of Canada were amalgamated in Kingston. The Royal Military College of Canada is now administrated as part of the Canadian Military and Staff Colleges under the Department of National Defence.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of syllabi for Canadian War Staff and Junior War Staff courses and various other courses at Royal Military College during the Second World War. There is also one syllabi for 1936/1937. They cover a variety of military subjects including tactics, use of air, artillery, armour and infantry, training, intelligence, reconnaissance, etc.
Immediate source of acquisition
The immediate source of acquisition is unknown.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copies of the finding aid are located in the first file of the fonds and in the Reading Room of the Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH). Electronic copies are also available.
Related records can be found in the Document Collection under the heading “Royal Military College, Kingston, Ont.” and in the Kardex Collection under the headings “R.M.C.” and “Royal Military College”.
There is a Permanent Reference File (PRF) for the Royal Military College, Kingston.
Associated material can be found at Library and Archives Canada. The title is “Records relating to the Royal Military College" and the reference number is R112-179-1-E (formerly RG 24-G-20-1).
No further accruals are expected.