Title and statement of responsibility area
Rockton - Sheffield Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00340 F1266
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Archives
- Rockton - Sheffield Pastoral Charge (Ont.)
Physical description area
1.76 m of textual records
5 architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Sheffield Pastoral Charge contained preaching points at Sheffield, Branchton and Westover. The first denomination in the area was the Methodist Church which operated the Sheffield Circuit.
Also in the region were German-speakers who were ministered to by the United Brethren in Christ Church, and later the United Brethren Association of Congregational Churches. The Sheffield Brethren church joined with the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1916, and that church joined in the United Church in 1925.
In Branchton, Ontario a joint Methodist and Brethren Church operated for a half-century with Methodist assistance from St. George, Ontario, prior to a 1910 secession of the church from the Methodist Church Canada. In that same year, the St. George Presbyterian Church in Canada sent assistance to the congregation in Branchton, where a Session was established in 1911. This church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Branchton United Church closed in 1971.
Westover, Ontario was served by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1863. Sometime after the church union period (1874-1884), the work at Westover was abandoned, and was subsequently picked up by the United Church in 1928.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of Sheffield Methodist Circuit, 1884-1925; records of Rockton Methodist Church, 1892-1918; communion roll and register of Branchton Presbyterian Church, 1910-1922; records, including marriages, 1901-1908, of Sheffield United Brethren in Christ Church, 1833-1916; records, including baptisms, 1901-1906, of Sheffield United Brethren Association of Congreagtional Churches (includes Freeport), 1887-1922; records, including baptisms, 1922-1966,1968-2008, marriages, 1898-2008, and burials, 1925-2009, of Sheffield Pastoral Charge, 1898-2009; records of baptisms 1932-1938, of Westover United Church 1932-1938; baptisms 1913-1968, marriages 1912-1965, and burials 1912-1968, of Branchton United Church, 1911-1971; records of Sheffield United Church, 1916-2012; and records of Rockton United church, 1916-2010.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-51: positive and negative; 35mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.
Restrictions on access
Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use microfilm where available
Hamilton Conference - finding aid 290
Uploaded finding aid
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion