Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Technical drawing
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada. Toronto Conference
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Conferences in the United Church of Canada were courts of the Church organized as an administrative grouping of Presbyteries in a geographical area. The Conference was governed by a body consisting of ministers within its boundaries and an equal number of non-ministerial representatives of Pastoral Charges. Functions of a Conference included the following: determining boundaries and numbers of Presbyteries within its bounds; receiving and disposing of appeals, petitions subject to the usual right to appeal; sustaining pastorate in every Pastoral Charge; examining and ordaining candidates for the Order of Ministry; receiving ministers and deaconesses from other Churches; dealing with matters referred to it by the General Council and selecting equal numbers of members of the Order of Ministry and lay representatives to the General Council.
Toronto Conference held its inaugural service on 1925 September 22 in St. James Square Church, Toronto. In 1925 the Toronto Conference encompassed the following Presbyteries: Algoma, Dufferin and Peel, Grey, Muskoka, North Bay, Simcoe, Toronto Centre, Toronto East and Toronto West. In 1927, Sudbury and Temiskaming Presbyteries were added, followed by the addition of Cochrane Presbytery in 1929. In 1975, North Bay, Sudbury, and Temiskaming joined the newly founded Manitou Conference. In 2009, with the reorganization of Toronto Conference, the number of presbyteries were reduced to four: Living Waters, Northern Waters, South West, and Toronto Southeast. On January 1, 2019, Toronto Conference disbanded and the congregations within its boundaries became part of the following Regional Councils: Shining Waters Regional Council, Western Ontario Waterways Regional Council, Horseshoe Falls Regional Council and East Central Ontario Regional Council.
Scope and content
Program staff responsible for stewardship provided counsel, training and administrative support to Toronto Conference and presbyteries in the area of stewardship of the church’s resources. It fell under the responsibility of the Stewardship Committee with the support of the assigned Conference Minister. From 1976-1978, it was the responsibility of the Conference Minister for Mission Strategy and Stewardship. From 1979 to the mid-1990s, it was the responsibility of the Conference Minister for Stewardship and Communication. The program work for a short period in the 1990s shared a portfolio with Ethnic Ministries. Stewardship then became part of the work of the Conference Minister for Christian Formation and Congregational Development in 2001.
Series consists of correspondence of the Minister of Stewardship and Communication, 1990-1994; general correspondence and subject files, 1977-2007; records regarding Presbytery concerns, 1980-1995; Mission and Service Fund, 1991-2008; Mission and Service Interpreters’ Program, 1986-1990; and Stewardship workshops and events, 1984-2008.
See also Records of Stewardship Committee and Financial Stewardship Overview Group (Series 4) and Records of Finance, Mission Strategy and Property (Series 6/Subseries 5).