Port Hope & District Hospital

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Port Hope & District Hospital

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Port Hope Hospital

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1911-2000

History

The Port Hope Hospital was first established in the two story brick house formerly belonging to the McLean family, at the corner of Hope and Ward Streets. In 1915, plans were underway to build the new hospital, with the cornerstone being laid on October 8, 1915. The official opening of the new hospital was held on June 29, 1916. The building cost $31,500 to build, only $2000 had to be borrowed. The nurses training school was established soon after its opening. In 1929, the west wing of the hospital was completed, providing 25 additional beds, X-ray and laundry room. A new hospital opened in the 1960s, and merged with the Cobourg hospital to create the new Northumberland Hills (located in Cobourg) in 1999-2000.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places