17 Mill Street North
Port Hope, Ontario
CA L1A 2H2
Port Hope Archives
Established as the Ganaraska Region Archives in 1994 by the East Durham Historical Society and the Port Hope Branch of the A.C.O., and renamed the Port Hope Archives in 2005; the archives has been serving the Municipality of Port Hope for over 20 years. Supported by dedicated volunteers and generous members, the Archives provides access to archival materials related to Port Hope’s history.
The Port Hope Archives exists to collect and preserve archival materials which illustrate the growth and development of the Municipality of Port Hope or which pertain in whole or in part to activities within the geographic boundaries of the Municipality of Port Hope.
17 Mill Street North was built in 1871 as the Registry Office for East Durham. It served as the LRO for over 100 years, closing in 1992. In 1994 it officially became an archives and is currently used as the Port Hope Archives. The building’s architecture follows the uniform plan developed by Kivas Tully, and approved by Order-in-Council, 9 Mar 1868. It is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.
Open by appointment. Please contact us to make an appointment.
Building is not accessible. Please call the archives for research options if accessibility is a concern.
Archivist-conducted research services are available for $25.00/hour (first 1/2 hour free). Self-lead research is $10.00/visit; Members are free.
Photocopies and scanning services are available. Prices are as follows: $0.50/page for B&W photocopies or PDF document scans; $1.00/page for colour photocopies; $5.00/image for photograph scans; $20.00/image for photograph prints; Copies are made according to current copyright legislation and at the discretion of the archivist.