Established as the Ganaraska Region Archives in 1994 by the East Durham Historical Society and the Port Hope Branch of the A.C.O., and renamed the Port Hope Archives in 2005; the archives has been serving the Municipality of Port Hope for over 20 years. Supported by dedicated volunteers and generous members, the Archives provides access to archival materials related to Port Hope’s history.
17 Mill Street North was built in 1871 as the Registry Office for East Durham. It served as the LRO for over 100 years, closing in 1992. In 1994 it officially became an archives and is currently used as the Port Hope Archives. The building’s architecture follows the uniform plan developed by Kivas Tully, and approved by Order-in-Council, 9 Mar 1868. It is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.