Item 6 - The Pit Stobie Mine

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

The Pit Stobie Mine

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title written on the envelope.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

ON00120 044-6

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • June 2, 1906 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph : b&w glass negative ; 10 x 13 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1882 - 1932)

Custodial history

Scope and content

One image of a pit filled with water and a wooden sluice at the closed Stobie Mine in Blezard Township near Sudbury, Ontario.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Item has been digitized. Prints of image may be requested. Email archives@greatersudbury.ca for more information.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Stobie Mine was mainly an open pit mine which operated under the Canadian Copper Company from 1886 to 1901. The International Nickel Company reopened the mine in 1942. In 1948, underground mining began at Stobie and the mine is still in operation today.

General note

The Canadian Copper Company (which owned Stobie Mine) and Orford Copper Company merged in 1902 to form the International Nickel Company (Inco) with their head office in New York. In 1916, Inco officially incorporated in Canada. In 2006, Inco was purchased by Brazilian mining company Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (CVRD) and Inco became known as CVRD Inco. The following year CVRD changed its name to Vale and CVRD Inco became Vale Inco. In 2010, Vale Inco's name was changed again to simply Vale.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: C-060