Fonds MG 7 - Patterson collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Patterson collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00373 MG 7

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • predominant 1855 – 1920 (Creation)
  • 1850 – 1995 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

90 cm of textual records
76 photographs : b&w and col ; 10 x 15 cm and 15 x 8 cm
2 site plans ; 28 x 32 cm or smaller
1 photo book (30 p.)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Collection consists of copies of Vaughan Township by-laws and petitions, correspondence of Peter Patterson (the founder of Patterson, Ont. and one of the proprietors and manager of the Patterson Works) and Redelmeier family, report concerning period structures remaining on present site, and newspaper clippings, published and unpublished essays relating to various aspects of Patterson's history, including one pertaining to the Patterson School, S.S. #19. Collection also includes plans of the hamlet from 1928 and 1936, as well as records regarding the history, activities, personalities, etc. of the Don Head Farms. The collection includes five photographs depicting life on property and at Don Head Farms, when it was an agricultural enterprize during latter part of Patterson ownership, and into the administration of W. Redelmeier and his sons.

The collection also contains 23 photographs copied from the Patterson Family Album depicting family members from the United States and Canada, as well as a photograph of Mrs. Peter Patterson, executed in 1866, and a photograph of the Patterson residence, ca. 1870. Additionally, photographic documentation of Patterson family related matters in Westfield, New York focusing on the Asa Farnsworth House, Holland Land Company and "Old Cemetary" (where a number of family tombstones are depicted), as well as the town of Patterson, California are present. Collection is also notable for the presence of a number of record copies pertaining to the noted town of Patterson, California, a present-day municipality of some 7000 people incorporated in 1919, and adjacent ranch founded by T.W. Patterson, the nephew of Peter Patterson, during the mid-nineteenth century. These documents include cartographic material, municipal by-laws, newspaper articles, correspondence, and legal documents and other documentation generated by the Patterson ranch.

The later acesssion of M008.4 is constituted of photocopies of Patterson and Bro Manufacturers' advertisements, correspondence, essays, newspaper clippings, articles, land records, price lists, by-laws, legal documents, and minutes. A map of the Patterson property and the original Don Head Farms guest book round out this section of the collection. Patterson family trees, research notes, and write-ups on the history of Patterson, Warsaw, Belleville, and Wyoming are also included. The collection is interesting in that it contains the histories and biographies of many of the Patterson family members who lived and worked across North America. A colour photo of a Patterson & Bro. catalogue is also included as well as Don Head Farms 1924-1983, a picture book compiled by Ruth Redelmeier.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

None

Associated materials

Researchers may also wish to consult the Patch Farms fonds (MG 11) and the Patterson & Bros. Manufacturer file (M008.1).

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Title based on nature and provenance of the material.

General note

Items from the M008.4 accession consist primarily of photocopies.

General note

One of Ontario's first company towns, Patterson was also unique in terms of the paternalistic and benevolent attitude of the proprietors, the Patterson brothers, toward their employees. The Patterson Works was extant 1851 to 1891 and produced agricultural implements. The property was purchased in 1940 by Willy Redelmeier, and today owned and operated by his children, continues on as the Don Head Farms.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area