Fonds 2 C34&2 S68&6S C7&6S W2B - Parish of Winchester, Chesterville, Crysler and South Mountain (Anglican), Ontario fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Parish of Winchester, Chesterville, Crysler and South Mountain (Anglican), Ontario fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00006 2 C34&2 S68&6S C7&6S W2B

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1864-2001 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

45 cm of textual records Parish registers fragile.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Parish of Winchester, Chesterville, Crysler and South Mountain presently consists of three churches and formerly included one other. St. Peter's Church, built of stone around 1837, was originally situated in the village of Boyd's or Baldwin's Bridge and was replaced by a brick church in South Mountain in 1875. Services were conducted in Chesterville as early as 1875 in the town hall and the brick church of Holy Trinity was consecrated by Bishop J. Travers Lewis on May 13, 1883. Services in Winchester began around 1885 and the frame church of St. Matthias', Winchester was erected by 1892. St. John's, Crysler was built out of stone in 1864, consecrated three years later, and closed in 1993 due to dwindling numbers and vandalism.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the activities of the Parish of Winchester, Chesterville, Crysler and South Mountain, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1864-1990, vestry records, 1967-1975, records of committees and organizations including central council, historiography, and newsletters.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of the Parish of Winchester, Chesterville, Crysler and South Mountain, Ontario.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.

Finding aids

Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Bound photocopies of 1847-1864, 1865-1898, and 1892-1952 parish registers on acid-free paper.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres