Title and statement of responsibility area
Parish of Morrisburg (Anglican), Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 A553&2 N48756&2 S44
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
41.5 cm of textual records Parish registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Parish of Morrisburg consists of three churches. A church was constructed in Iroquois (Matilda township) by Lutherans in 1792 with the congregation and minister transferring their allegiance to the Church of England in 1827. The former Lutheran meeting house was reconstructed in 1836 into the Anglican church of St. John's, Iroquois. Holy Trinity Church began as the Lutheran Zion Church, built in 1792 by United Empire Loyalists. The minister and congregation transferred their allegiance to the Church of England in 1811 and the name of the church was changed to St. George's, Williamsburg. The church was rebuilt in 1835 and renamed Holy Trinity Church. This church, also known as Whitney Memorial Church, was the only one to be taken down and rebuilt during the Seaway Project. Bishop Ernest Samuel Reed consecrated Holy Trinity Church, Riverside Heights on October 15, 1958. The cornerstone of St. James' Church, Morrisburg was laid in July 1856 and the church was opened for Divine service on January 6, 1859.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of parish registers, 1788-1950, and newsletters for the Parish of Morrisburg.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of the Parish of Morrisburg, Ontario.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Bound photocopies of some parish registers on acid-free paper.