Title and statement of responsibility area
Parish of Combermere (Anglican), Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 G6&2 M55&6P C3B
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
24.5 cm of textual records Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Parish of Combermere presently consists of four churches and formerly included two others. In 1884, land was obtained in Combermere for a church. St. Paul's, Combermere was completed by 1886. In Whitney, the Accommodation Church (later the Union Church) was built around 1895 and used by several denominations until 1974 at which time it was used exclusively by the St. Anthony's Anglican congregation. Holy Trinity Church, Madawaska was built in 1901 on a site donated by the Canadian Atlantic Railway. By 1949, services were held in the Union church in Barry's Bay. Property was acquired in 1955 upon which the Church of the Epiphany, Barry's Bay was built. A congregation was formed in Rockingham around 1864 and a building was constructed for use as a church. A new church building was in the process of being erected in 1883. The last service held in St. Leonard's, Rockingham was in the summer of 1941. St. Leonard's was secularized by Bishop Ernest Reed on May 14, 1967. In 1899, services were held in the schoolhouse at Bangor (Purdy) and by 1900, St. Peter's was erected. In 1929, the church building at Bangor was sold.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of the Parish of Combermere, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1882-1982, vestry records, 1969-1989, a service register, 1968-1990, records of committees and organizations including parish central committee, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, service bulletins, lists of parishioners, and newsletters.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of the Parish of Combermere, Ontario.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.