Title and statement of responsibility area
Parish of Clarendon (Anglican), Quebec fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
60 cm of textual records Parish registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Parish of Clarendon consists of six churches and formerly included one other. The first Anglican service in the township of Clarendon was held in 1827 and the building of St. Paul's, Shawville was undertaken in 1840. In 1856, a site for a church in Portage du Fort was donated and St. George's Church was consecrated in 1858. In 1868, land for a church in North Clarendon was obtained and St. Matthew's, Charteris, was built soon after. The first services were held at Bristol Corners in a photographer's gallery in 1870 and the first service at St. Thomas', Bristol Corners (later Bristol) was held in 1875 on Christmas Day. Greermount (Thorne) began in 1861 as an outstation in the Mission of Clarendon and construction of St. Stephen's, Greermount began in 1883 with the opening three years later. The congregation in Radford existed as early as 1880 and in 1901, Holy Trinity Church, Radford was opened. A congregation began gathering at James Caldwell's house in Bristol township in 1864 and St. Luke's, Caldwell was built in 1868, but it was secularized in 1974.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of the Parish of Clarendon in Quebec. It includes parish registers, 1856-1993, vestry records, 1973-1979, records of committees and organizations including the central parish committee, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, newsclippings, lists of parishioners, newsletters, and other information materials.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of the Parish of Clarendon, Quebec.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.