Title and statement of responsibility area
Parish of Beachburg-Cobden (Anglican), Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 T80&6P B3
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
17.5 cm of textual records Parish registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Parish of Beachburg-Cobden presently consists of three churches and formerly included three others. By 1869, services were held in the Cobden school and later in the town hall. St. Paul's, Cobden was opened by Bishop John Travers Lewis on January 25, 1884. By 1882, services in Beachburg were held in the Orange Hall and on May 26, 1883, St. Augustine's, Beachburg was opened by Bishop John Travers Lewis. In 1897, a site for a church in Westmeath was donated and St. Mary's, Westmeath was erected two years later. The first Christ Church, Douglas was built in 1862 and was shared by Anglicans and Presbyterians. On September 11, 1971, Christ Church was secularized by Bishop William J. Robinson and in 1973, the building and property were sold. In 1895, services in Haley's were held in the Orange Hall and the Church of the Good Shepherd, Haley's was opened in 1898 and completed by 1903. In 1919, the Church of the Good Shepherd was taken down and moved to Cobden to be erected as a Sunday school hall. In 1909, the church of St. Aidan's, North Alice was cut into sections and moved to Forrester's Falls where it was reassembled. In 1968, St. Aidan's, Forrester's Falls was closed and then secularized by Bishop Ernest Reed on May 10, 1969.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of parish registers, 1868-1957, financial records, and newsletters for the Parish of Beachburg-Cobden.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of the Parish of Beachburg-Cobden.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Bound photocopy of 1868-1954 parish register on acid-free paper.