Fonds MG 53 - Ottawa Literary and Scientific Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ottawa Literary and Scientific Society fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00075 MG 53

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1864-1908 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

50 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Ottawa Literary and Scientific Society was formed in 1869 through the amalgamation of the Natural History Society of Ottawa (1863) and the Ottawa Mechanics Institute (first formed 1847 and reformed 1856 after breaks and name changes). The club was disbanded in 1907, largely because of competition from the Ottawa Field Naturalist's Club (1879) and greater public access to information with the opening of the Ottawa Carnegie Library in 1906.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

Fonds was originally donated to the Ottawa Public Library, date unknown, before being transferred to the archives.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of correspondence regarding guest appearances, society affairs, and donations (including an insect collection from Braddish Billings in 1871), annual, librarian, and executive reports, account books, legal documents, a selection of receipts and cheques issued, applications and resignations, membership lists, published material including the proceedings of the first regular meeting of the Association of Mechanics Institutes of Ontario (1868), society programs, and lecture topics.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Fonds was transferred from the Ottawa Public Library in 1984.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item-level inventory by series available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres