Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of series
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Toronto General Hospital. Ontario Institute of Radiotherapy
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1931 the Province of Ontario established a Royal Commission to investigate and report on “‘the use of radium and X-Ray in the treatment of the sick.” The Commission’s report to the Ontario legislature (1932) recommended that a radiotherapy research and treatment centre be established in Toronto.
On November 24 1932 a ten-year agreement was signed between Dr. J.M Robb, Ontario Minister of Health and Mark Irish, Chairman of the TGH Board of Trustees to establish and support a TGH Department called the Ontario Institute of Radiotherapy. Early the next year the OIR was established by an Act of the Ontario legislature (R.S.O. 1933, c. 44).
<blockquote>“The government undertook to supply radium and radium emanations, [and] the hospital agreed to provide a building with fifty beds and facilities for the scientific study and applications of treatment by X-Rays, radium and radioactive substances” (W.G. Cosbie. The Toronto General Hospital, 1819-1965: A Chronicle. (Toronto: Macmillan, 1975) p. 188).</blockquote>
The OIR was governed by a Supervising Committee, chaired by the Chairman of the TGH Board of Trustees, and its first Director was Dr. Gordon E. Richards, Head of the TGH Department of Radiology. The Supervising Committee held its first meeting on February 26, 1934 and the first patients were admitted April 3, 1934. The OIR was located in the Dunlap Building on University Avenue.
The OIR was dissolved in 1952 when the Government of Ontario established the Ontario Cancer Institute on the grounds of the Wellesley Division of the TGH. Dr. Clifford L. Ash, Dr. Richards’ successor as Director of the OIR became the Director of the OCI while remaining head of the TGH Department of Radiotherapy. The old Dunlap Building quarters of the OIR remained in operation as the TGH Radiotherapy clinic.
Scope and content
Series consists of minutes of meetings of the Supervising Committee, annual reports, collected research papers published by Institute staff and consultants, and plans and proposals for the expansion of the Institute.
Related material, including correspondence between the TGH Superintendent and the Director of the OIR, financial statements, patient records, and records documenting the equipment of the Institute and the purchase of radium are located in the Superintendent’s correspondence and general administration files for 1930ff. (TG 2.4 ff.)
The series includes four sub-series:
5.1 Minutes of Supervising Committee
5.2 Annual Reports
5.3 Collected Research Papers
5.4 Plans for Expansion