Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital
- And accumulation
- Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital
- Toronto General Hospital. Ontario Institute of Radiotherapy
Physical description area
Ca. 1150 photographs : b&w and col. ; 25.5 x 25.5 cm or smaller.
141 photographs : col. slides ; 5 x 5 cm.
4 photographs : col. negatives ; 5.5 x 5.5 cm and 33 mm.
Ca. 70 architectural drawings.
2 drawings on 1 backing.
8 audio cassettes.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Ontario Cancer Institute was established in 1952 by an Act of the Ontario Legislature.
Bill 172, an Act to amalgamate The Toronto Hospital and the Ontario Cancer Institute / Princess Margaret Hospital came into effect on January 1, 1998. The departments consolidated but OCI/PMH was to retain its own identity. The combined oncology program became Ontario Cancer Institute / Princess Margaret Hospital a division of The Toronto Hospital.
The original mandate for the Institute was to plan, construct, and establish buildings to accommodate cancer research, diagnosis and treatment, and the observation of and consultation with cancer sufferers. This mandate was broadened when the Institute was reconstituted by the Cancer Act, 1957, "to maintain, manage and operate a provincial hospital with facilities for cancer research, diagnosis and treatment". Construction at the 500 Sherbourne Street location began in 1954 and the Hospital opened on May 1, 1958 with 87 beds.
"The ... Hospital, as well as being an active treatment hospital, is one of the teaching hospitals affiliated with the University of Toronto. The scientists in the Research Division form the basis of the University's Medical Biophysics Division. Staff physicians also provide consultative and treatment services at the Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael's Hospital, Sunnybrook Medical Centre and Toronto General Hospital, and attend six consultative and follow-up clinics located at North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury and Timmins". [The Ontario Cancer Institute incorporating The Princess Margaret Hospital: An Introduction / The Ontario Cancer Institute. - Toronto : Undated, p.1]
The hospital was responsible to the Institute's Board which was made up of representatives from The Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation, the University of Toronto and its teaching hospitals.
The Ontario Cancer Institute was originally organized into four divisions under the authority of the Institute's Director. These divisions were: clinical services, hospital services, physics, and biological research. The hospital's active and consulting medical staff were grouped under the umbrella of clinical services, while both patient services and administration were grouped under hospital services. The administrative structure of the hospital has undergone various changes over the years. Notably, by 1969, the Division of Hospital Services had been dismantled , and its various departments had been placed under the heading of Administrative Staff.
To mark the visit in 1958 of Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret, the Government of Ontario named the new hospital "The Princess Margaret Hospital". The hospital is commonly known as the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital (OCI/PMH).
As of November 13, 1995, the Hospital officially moved to 610 University Avenue, and the new hospital facility was recognized by a visit from Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret, on July 12, 1996. OCI/PMH amalgamated with The Toronto Hospital on January 1, 1998.
Name of creator
In 1931 the Province of Ontario established a Royal Commission to investigate and report on “‘the use of radium and X-Ray in the treatment of the sick.” The Commission’s report to the Ontario legislature (1932) recommended that a radiotherapy research and treatment centre be established in Toronto.
On November 24 1932 a ten-year agreement was signed between Dr. J.M Robb, Ontario Minister of Health and Mark Irish, Chairman of the TGH Board of Trustees to establish and support a TGH Department called the Ontario Institute of Radiotherapy. Early the next year the OIR was established by an Act of the Ontario legislature (R.S.O. 1933, c. 44).
<blockquote>“The government undertook to supply radium and radium emanations, [and] the hospital agreed to provide a building with fifty beds and facilities for the scientific study and applications of treatment by X-Rays, radium and radioactive substances” (W.G. Cosbie. The Toronto General Hospital, 1819-1965: A Chronicle. (Toronto: Macmillan, 1975) p. 188).</blockquote>
The OIR was governed by a Supervising Committee, chaired by the Chairman of the TGH Board of Trustees, and its first Director was Dr. Gordon E. Richards, Head of the TGH Department of Radiology. The Supervising Committee held its first meeting on February 26, 1934 and the first patients were admitted April 3, 1934. The OIR was located in the Dunlap Building on University Avenue.
The OIR was dissolved in 1952 when the Government of Ontario established the Ontario Cancer Institute on the grounds of the Wellesley Division of the TGH. Dr. Clifford L. Ash, Dr. Richards’ successor as Director of the OIR became the Director of the OCI while remaining head of the TGH Department of Radiotherapy. The old Dunlap Building quarters of the OIR remained in operation as the TGH Radiotherapy clinic.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes from various hospital committees, correspondence, administrative and research reports, memorandums, publicity photographs, and reports and architectural drawings regarding hospital planning and construction. Records relate to the administrative, teaching and research activities of the various divisions of the hospital. Fonds is arranged into two sousfonds and five series:
1) Board of Trustees of the Ontario Cancer Institute
2) Medical Advisory Committee
1) Division of Hospital Services records
2) Director of the Ontario Cancer Institute records
3) Division of Physics records
4) Division of Biological Research records
5) Division of Clinical Services records
The arrangement of the series reflects the organizational structure as it was in 1957. Since no official policy for records transfer existed, fonds is incomplete.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description