Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • OCI/PMH
  • Princess Margaret Hospital
  • Ontario Cancer Institute

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1952-1998

History

The Ontario Cancer Institute was established in 1952 by an Act of the Ontario Legislature.

Bill 172, an Act to amalgamate The Toronto Hospital and the Ontario Cancer Institute / Princess Margaret Hospital came into effect on January 1, 1998. The departments consolidated but OCI/PMH was to retain its own identity. The combined oncology program became Ontario Cancer Institute / Princess Margaret Hospital a division of The Toronto Hospital.

The original mandate for the Institute was to plan, construct, and establish buildings to accommodate cancer research, diagnosis and treatment, and the observation of and consultation with cancer sufferers. This mandate was broadened when the Institute was reconstituted by the Cancer Act, 1957, "to maintain, manage and operate a provincial hospital with facilities for cancer research, diagnosis and treatment". Construction at the 500 Sherbourne Street location began in 1954 and the Hospital opened on May 1, 1958 with 87 beds.

"The ... Hospital, as well as being an active treatment hospital, is one of the teaching hospitals affiliated with the University of Toronto. The scientists in the Research Division form the basis of the University's Medical Biophysics Division. Staff physicians also provide consultative and treatment services at the Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael's Hospital, Sunnybrook Medical Centre and Toronto General Hospital, and attend six consultative and follow-up clinics located at North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury and Timmins". [The Ontario Cancer Institute incorporating The Princess Margaret Hospital: An Introduction / The Ontario Cancer Institute. - Toronto : Undated, p.1]

The hospital was responsible to the Institute's Board which was made up of representatives from The Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation, the University of Toronto and its teaching hospitals.

The Ontario Cancer Institute was originally organized into four divisions under the authority of the Institute's Director. These divisions were: clinical services, hospital services, physics, and biological research. The hospital's active and consulting medical staff were grouped under the umbrella of clinical services, while both patient services and administration were grouped under hospital services. The administrative structure of the hospital has undergone various changes over the years. Notably, by 1969, the Division of Hospital Services had been dismantled , and its various departments had been placed under the heading of Administrative Staff.

To mark the visit in 1958 of Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret, the Government of Ontario named the new hospital "The Princess Margaret Hospital". The hospital is commonly known as the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital (OCI/PMH).

As of November 13, 1995, the Hospital officially moved to 610 University Avenue, and the new hospital facility was recognized by a visit from Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret, on July 12, 1996. OCI/PMH amalgamated with The Toronto Hospital on January 1, 1998.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Division of Physics (1957-?)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1957-?

Description of relationship

The Division of Physics was part of the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital.

Related entity

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Division of Biological Research (1957-1997)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1957-1997

Description of relationship

The Division of Biological Research was part of the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital.

Related entity

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Division of Clinical Services (1957-1997)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1957-1997

Description of relationship

The Division of Clinical Services was part of the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital.

Related entity

Ontario Cancer Institute. Board of Trustees (1951-1997)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1951-1997

Description of relationship

The Board was responsible for the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital.

Related entity

Ontario Cancer Institute. Director (1952-1997)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1952-1997

Description of relationship

The Director was responsible for the business and affairs of the Institute and Hospital.

Related entity

The Toronto Hospital (1986-1999)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

January 1, 1998

Description of relationship

The Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital amalgamated with The Toronto Hospital becoming one of its Divisions.

Related entity

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Medical Advisory Committee (1975-1997)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1975-1997

Description of relationship

The Medical Advisory Committee provided supervision over the practice of medicine and dentistry in the Hospital.

Related entity

Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Department Heads & Senior Staff Committee (1968-1995)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1968-1995

Description of relationship

The Department Heads and Senior Staff Committee reported to the President and CEO through the Board and disseminated information to the hospital's staff.

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

University Health Network

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Last updated: June 17, 2013.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Additional sources used for the administrative history are Annual reports / Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. - Toronto : 1958-1994, and Caring Together : staff newsletter / The Toronto Hospital, Public and Community Affairs. - Toronto: vol. 1, 1997.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places