Dossier 2006.9.1.1 - Old Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery Correspondence

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Title proper

Old Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery Correspondence

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Dossier

Cote

CA ON00154 2006.9.1.1

Zone de l'édition

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 2002-2003 (Production)
    Producteur
    Wesleyan Cemetery
    Lieu
    Port Hope, Municipality of

Zone de description matérielle

Physical description

0.01m textual records

Zone de la collection

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1865-1871)

Histoire administrative

The Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery was active for burials in the town of Port Hope from 1835-1871, located on Pine Street. The cemetery was closed in 1871 and in 1931 the remains were reported to have been moved to the Port Hope Union Cemetery and the land was sold toe the Trustees of the Port Hope High School. In 1931, a judge of the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham approved the closure of the Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery on Pine Street, Port Hope and the removal of bodies to Union Cemetery on Toronto Road, Port Hope. In 2002, after the sale of the property (originally built as the Port Hope High School in 1896 and later used as Dr. M. S. Hawkins School) the development of the property into luxury condominiums began. During the excavation of what was the play ground, human remains were found, indicating that not all of the remains had been moved in 1931 to Union Cemetery. As a result, the Port Hope United Church, Municipality of Port Hope, the Port Hope Cemetery Board and the Ministry of Business and Consumer Affairs worked together with the developer to have the remains removed from the site to Trent University for examination and tests and later re-interred at Union Cemetery. In 2005 the last of the remains were re-interred at Port Hope Union Cemetery.

Historique de la conservation

Donated to the Port Hope Archives in 2006.

Portée et contenu

File consists of materials related to the moving of human remains from the Old Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery. It includes: Copy of Ontario Regulation for Burial Sites, 2002; Notice of Declaration in the matter of the discover of human remains on the Dr. Hawkins School site in 2002. Gives details of the parties involved; Letter from Rev. Paul Putman, regarding allowing Trent University to conduct studies on the remains.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Associated materials

      Éléments associés

      Accruals

      Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Mots-clés

      Mots-clés - Sujets

      Mots-clés - Noms

      Mots-clés - Genre

      Zone du contrôle

      Description record identifier

      Identifiant du service d'archives

      Règles ou conventions

      Statut

      Niveau de détail

      Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

      Language of description

        Script of description

          Sources

          Accession area