File 2006.9.1.1 - Old Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery Correspondence

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Old Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery Correspondence

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Repository

Reference code

CA ON00154 2006.9.1.1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 2002-2003 (Creation)
    Creator
    Wesleyan Cemetery
    Place
    Port Hope, Municipality of

Physical description area

Physical description

0.01m textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1865-1871)

Administrative history

The Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery was active for burials in the town of Port Hope from 1835-1871, located on Pine Street. The cemetery was closed in 1871 and in 1931 the remains were reported to have been moved to the Port Hope Union Cemetery and the land was sold toe the Trustees of the Port Hope High School. In 1931, a judge of the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham approved the closure of the Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery on Pine Street, Port Hope and the removal of bodies to Union Cemetery on Toronto Road, Port Hope. In 2002, after the sale of the property (originally built as the Port Hope High School in 1896 and later used as Dr. M. S. Hawkins School) the development of the property into luxury condominiums began. During the excavation of what was the play ground, human remains were found, indicating that not all of the remains had been moved in 1931 to Union Cemetery. As a result, the Port Hope United Church, Municipality of Port Hope, the Port Hope Cemetery Board and the Ministry of Business and Consumer Affairs worked together with the developer to have the remains removed from the site to Trent University for examination and tests and later re-interred at Union Cemetery. In 2005 the last of the remains were re-interred at Port Hope Union Cemetery.

Custodial history

Donated to the Port Hope Archives in 2006.

Scope and content

File consists of materials related to the moving of human remains from the Old Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery. It includes: Copy of Ontario Regulation for Burial Sites, 2002; Notice of Declaration in the matter of the discover of human remains on the Dr. Hawkins School site in 2002. Gives details of the parties involved; Letter from Rev. Paul Putman, regarding allowing Trent University to conduct studies on the remains.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

2006.9.1.1

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres