Fonds F1008 - Office of the Dean of St. Hilda's College fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Office of the Dean of St. Hilda's College fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00335 F1008

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888 - 2004 (Creation)
    Creator
    Office of the Dean of St. Hilda's College

Physical description area

Physical description

4.78 m of textual records
Approximately 600 photographs
1 graphic item
2 artefacts

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1888 -)

Administrative history

St. Hilda’s College was created in 1888 by Provost C.W.E. Body to enable the education of women, in
tandem with the male students at Trinity College. A Council was formed in 1888 and a Charter, dated 11
February 1890, contains the declaration of incorporation. St. Hilda's College was originally incorporated
under the provisions of Chapter 172 of the Revised Statues of Ontario 1887, and subsequently in 1956
was continued by "Letters Patent Continuing St. Hilda's College”. Provost Body appointed Ellen Pattesen,
later Mrs. Oswald Rigby as first Principal Miss Patteson and two students moved into a house on Euclid
Avenue. In 1889 the College moved to two houses on Shaw Street, to two larger houses on the same
street in 1892, and a third adjoining house was added in 1895. In 1899 the cornerstone for a new building
was laid on the grounds of Trinity College, designed by Eden Smith. Miss Mabel Cartwright succeeded
Mrs. Rigby in 1903. By 1908 the student population had outgrown the new building, and St. Hilda’s
expanded into the Provost’s lodge across the driveway, with Miss Mary Elizabeth Strachan presiding over
the students in residence there. Some students also lived with Professor and Mrs. Duckworth in their
Crawford Street house.
For the first few years, students at St. Hilda’s were lectured separately, but by 1894 all lectures at Trinity
were open to women. After the First World War the Principal of St. Hilda’s became a permanent member
of the Trinity teaching staff. In 1915, the Principal of St. Hilda’s received the additional title of Dean of
Women, giving her jurisdiction over the non-resident students, who increased in number after federation
with the University of Toronto.
The move to Queen’s Park in 1925 resulted in the purchase of first one, later three houses on St. George
Street. Finally, in 1938, St. Hildians moved into their present home, a Georgian residence on Devonshire
Place. Miss Cartwright retired in 1936 and was succeeded by Dr. Mossie Mae Kirkwood. Subsequent
Deans were Miss Katherine M. Darroch (1953-1963), Miss Melinda H. Seaman (1963-1978), Dr. Elizabeth
M. Rowlinson, (1978-1991) and Dr. Elizabeth Abbott (1991-2004).
In 2004 Trinity became co-ed and the office of the Dean of Women/Dean of St. Hilda’s College ceased to
exist. Kelly Castle was named the first Dean of Students, Trinity College.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds deals with records relating to St Hilda's College from its founding until 2004. Most of them are from the office of the head of St Hilda's College (whose title changed over the years from Lady Principal to Principal and Dean of Women to Dean of Women and Dean of St Hilda's. Records include correspondence, student records, committee minutes, reports and statistics, photographs, policies, budgets and other administrative records. Note that there are no documents for the period 1953-1978 when Katharine Darroch was in office.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds covers nine accessions from the Office of the Dean of St Hilda's, beginning in 1985 and concluding in 2004.

Arrangement

Various lists exist of the material in the earliest accession (1985) but the current files in series 1 were created by the archivist. Subsequent accessions were weeded for material duplicated in Trinity College's main archives or material that fitted elsewhere (eg, Art Committee). Otherwise the files are largely in the order in which they were received.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some files are closed, indicated in the Series descriptions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Various copyright holders. It is the researcher's responsibility to obtain permission to publish any part of the fonds.

Finding aids

Associated materials

St. Hilda’s College Alumnae Association, F2142
Cartwright and Wood families fonds, F2182

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres