Item - North Oxford and West Zorra Road Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

North Oxford and West Zorra Road Company fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

COA285

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1855-1885 (Creation)
    Creator
    North Oxford and West Zorra Road Company

Physical description area

Physical description

3 ledgers

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1855-1904)

Administrative history

On March 7, 1855 the stockholders of the North Oxford and West Zorra Road Company meet at the Town of Embro for the purposes of constructing a road from the north side of the Great Western Rail Road at Beachville Station through the Township of North Oxford to where the line between the fifth and sixth concessions of West Zorra strikes the Governor’s Road, from thence to Embro, and from Embro north to the line between the fourth and fifth concessions of the northern limit of the Township of West Zorra. Abram Carrall, J.J. Dent Esq., Warren Henry, J.M. Ross, and Walter Tait were nominated as the first Directors of the Company and William Sutherland served as Secretary-Treasurer.

The following were named as original Stakeholders:

William Hook Jr. John M. Ross James Sutherland John McKay
James Burdick John D. Wilkerson D. Matheson Gunn James Adam
W.C. Loveys John Youngs Dr. G. Duncan Thomas Cooke
Asa Hallock J.C. Reid James Innes John Fraser
James McKay G.W. Sanderson A. Mathews Silas Cook
Daniel Karn Juia Dawns Alexander Gunn Joshua H. Youngs
James Henderson William Grant John McKay Walter Tate[sic]
John McDonald Mann Bros. John Cooke John D. Dent
William Sutherland David Innes Edward Higgins D.P. Youngs
L.S. Youngs A. McLeod Jacob Dean Denson Pelton
C. Martin Donald R. McPherson Warren Henry George Burton
Hugh Ross Charles Mason Abraham Carroll M.L. Green
Daniel Carrall Andrew Caroll Joseph Laycock Theron Hallock Jr.
Mervin Cody John Chalcroft George Gordon William Midgley
William Smith George Adam Roderick M. Fraser

By 1899, the road was owned by Malcolm McNeill, of the Village of Embro, and was known as the North Oxford and West Zorra Gravel Road.

In May 1901, the ratepayers of both the Township of North Oxford and the Township of West Zorra petitioned Oxford County Council to take such steps as may be necessary to abolish the toll gates on the said road, and a similar petition was once again presented in February 1903 by the ratepayers of Embro North Oxford, and West Zorra. In May 1904, an indenture was signed by Malcolm McNeill, and the Townships of North Oxford and West Zorra regarding the abandonment of the road and the abolition of the tolls thereon.

Today, the road is known as Oxford County Road No. 6.

Custodial history

The records were created and maintained by the North Oxford and West Zorra Road Company. They were eventually donated to the Woodstock Public Library, who in turn, transferred the records to the Oxford County Archives in April 2024.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of three bound ledgers related to the day to day operations of the North Oxford and West Zorra Road Company between the years 1855 to 1885.

Notes area

Physical condition

The Records are in good condition.

Immediate source of acquisition

Oxford County Archives received the records from the Woodstock Public Library in April 2024.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    The fonds is open to publish research. However, please contact the archivist responsible for the records regarding access, as some materials may be too fragile to handle. The Archives will make every effort to supply reference copies where feasible.

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Copyright is held by the archives. Researchers are responsible for observing copyright regulations that may apply to the publication of their research. If you wish to publish any of this material, please contact the archivist responsible for the records.

    The Archivist has the right to restrict reproduction if the material is in a fragile condition.

    Finding aids

    A detailed finding aid is available for researchers. Please contact Archives staff for further information.

    Associated materials

    RG2 County of Oxford fonds, Series 4 Clerk, Subseries G: Roads & Bridges
    RG3 Zorra Township fonds, Series 3 West Zorra Township and Series 4 North Oxford Township
    COA149 Woodstock & Norwich Gravel Road Company fonds

    Related materials

    Accruals

    No further accruals are expected

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Standard number

    COA285

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    Institution identifier

    Rules or conventions

    Status

    Level of detail

    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    Language of description

      Script of description

        Sources

        Accession area