Record group RG50 - Normal School and Provincial Museum records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Normal School and Provincial Museum records

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Record group

    Reference code

    CA ON00259 RG50

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1885-1931 (Creation)
      Ontario Provincial Museum

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    2 volumes of textual records (15 centimetres)

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator


    Administrative history

    The Ontario Provincial Museum was a provincial museum established by the Federal Government in 1896, and was housed on the third floor of the Toronto Normal School building at St. James Square.

    The collections of the Ontario Provincial Museum were transferred from the Canadian Institute (now the Royal Canadian Institute), after originally being donated in the 1880s by Canadian Institute Curator, David Boyle. Boyle would later become a Curator of Archaeology in 1896, after leaving the Canadian Institute in 1895. In 1901, Boyle would agree to become the Superintendent of the Museum, a position that was held by him until his death in 1911. That same year, Dr. Rowland B. Orr was named archaeological curator and Superindentant of the position. Orr held the positions until the closure of the Museum, and his death in 1933.

    The Ontario Provincial Museum was a beacon of archaeological research and museum work between 1896 and 1930. In 1929, the museum began to financially struggle and was officially closed in 1933. Its collections were dispersed amongst the Royal Ontario Museum and other regional museums

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Series consists of two volumes recording the ethnological and archaeological collections of the former Provincial Museum that was housed in the Normal School building.

    The first volume consists of a visitors’ book for 1889 to 1896, as well as an accession register for 1885-1897. The second volume is an accession register for 1885-1931.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Orignials are fragile; researchers must use reference copies available in Registration.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        Related materials


        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions



        Level of detail


        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        3/10/2023 E. Thomas (Creation)

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area