Title and statement of responsibility area
The No. 10 Canadian Stationary Hospital fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00353 AFC 4
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1916 – 1938, added material 2002, predominant 1916-1919 (Creation)
- The No. 10 Canadian Stationary Hospital
Physical description area
1.4 m of textual records 43 volumes 22 photographs 1 architectural drawing 2 objects
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Western University’s offer to provide a hospital unit for overseas service was officially accepted by the War Office in April 1916. At the request of the Board of Governors, Edwin Seaborn, a member of the university’s Faculty of Medicine, was appointed to command the unit at the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. Authorized for 14 officers, 27 nursing sisters and 118 other ranks, personnel recruited for the unit included faculty and alumni physicians, nurses graduated from Victoria Hospital and St. Joseph’s Hospital, Western students, and area residents. Surgical and medical supplies were collected and donated to the unit by the London branch of the Canadian Red Cross. The unit embarked for England in June and August of 1916. Following a period of instruction, officers and other ranks were dispersed to various hospitals. Seaborn and some unit personnel assumed the operation of Ravenscroft Military Hospital at Seaford, Sussex in November of 1916, and of All Saints Hospital, (renamed Canadian Military Hospital) in Eastbourne, Sussex in January of the next year. Its unit strength restored in November, the unit proceeded to Calais, France to take over a 400-bed hospital in December, 1917. While in operation, the No.10 Canadian Stationary Hospital admitted over 16,000 patients. Demobilized in April, 1919, the unit returned to London, Ontario, at the end of May.
According to a letter filed in the Unit History series, Dr. Seaborn had custody of the hospital’s records in October of 1924.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of materials related to the establishment, operation and demobilization of the No. 10 Canadian Stationary Hospital. Included are the unit’s history and war diaries; official and personal correspondence; orders and official communications; financial, personnel, patient and supply records; photographs and memorabilia. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Orders Regimental Returns Telegrams Registered Letters Crime Sheets Handing Over Documents Red Cross Correspondence Patients’ Valuables Memoranda Circulars Officers’ Duty Roster Register of Letters Khaki College Register of Recruits Army Books Mess Books Barrack Damages and Settlement Army Orders and Correspondence Rolls and Demobilization Records War Diary Accounts Unit History Photographs Objects Restricted Originals
Immediate source of acquisition
The exact date and means of the acquisition of these records by Western Archives is not known.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access restrictions apply to Series 21 Accounts, Series 24 Objects and Series 25 Restricted Originals.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Additional textual records and photographs relating to the No. 10 hospital can be found in the Edwin Seaborn Fonds and Collection. Correspondence relating to donations for the hospital can be found in the papers of Edward Ernest Braithwaite in the Office of the President Fonds. Photographs of the nursing sisters and the hospital can be found in the Sherry Fry Fonds. Additional photographs of the hospital and staff can be found in the 1932 edition of Occidentalia, located in the Archives and Research Collections Centre Reading Room.
Arrangement follows the general order of Seaborn’s list of documents, found in the Unit History series with the following exceptions: orders (part I, part II and daily order books) have been consolidated into a single series; regimental returns, handing over documents and registered letters have been similarly arranged; Emergency Fund vouchers have been included in an Accounts series consolidating the unit’s various financial records. A Photographs series and an Objects series have been identified and described to reflect the scope of the unit’s records, and a Restricted Originals series has been created by the archivist to accommodate fragile and acidic records removed from the files for conservation purposes.
1. Fragile documents have been photocopied. Originals have been removed from files and placed in the Restricted Originals series. Some originals have been duplex copied to conserve paper.
2. In June of 1917, the Lombardo Orchestra performed at a garden party held at Western University to raise funds for the hospital’s Emergency Fund. Records relating to this event, including a receipt signed by Guy Lombardo, can be found in Series 21 Accounts.