Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The New Dundee Public Library was established in 1900. It was organized through the efforts of Gottleib Bettschen, along with twelve other citizens. These people petitioned Wilmot Township Council on March 19, 1900 for a $50.00 grant. Township Council promised a grant of $25.00.
This first Library was located in a room at the rear of the store on Front Street built by Jacob Kriesel. Mr. Kriesel's two daughters, Addie and Nellie Kriesel, were the first Librarians. Mr. Bettschen was the first President of the Library with Alvin Clemens as Secretary and Amos Hilborn as Treasurer. After Herman Kavelman purchased the store in 1910, he succeeded his sisters-in-law as Librarian, and continued for 47 years.
Under the leadership of F.E. Page, the Library Board acquired a new location on South Street in 1961. They erected a 15 by 30 foot cement block building. The approximate cost was $4,100. This was raised through grants and public subscriptions. The new building opened on January 18, 1962.
The New Dundee Public Library became a branch of the Waterloo Regional Library in 1976. At that time it was relocated to the Comitz building on Queen Street. The first Librarians were Mrs. Jane Menkal and Mrs. Donna Snyder.
On January 3, 1985, the New Dundee Branch opened its doors at its current location, 136 Main Street. This location is in the centre of the village and near the site of the first Library.