Title and statement of responsibility area
Naughton Women's Institute
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1897-1974, predominant 1961-1974 (Creation)
- Naughton Women's Institute
Physical description area
71 photographs : b&w & col. ; 20 x 20 cm or smaller
0.05 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Naughton Women's Institute was founded on October 24th, 1949. It was created by the women of the Village of Naughton as a branch of the pre-existing Women’s Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. President of the Waters Women’s Institute Branch Mrs. Jessie Hamilton, accompanied by Secretary Mrs. H. Glenn and the District Secretary Mrs. E Rauhala, organized the meeting. The Institute raised funds for the Children Hospital in Toronto and for sleigh rides and picnics for the local children. This was accomplished by organized dances, card-party's and bingos. In 1950 there were 29 members but by December 1951, membership had dwindled and the group disbanded. It was revived on September 20th, 1961, mostly due to the efforts of Mrs. Howard Bennison who hosted the meeting at her home. Meetings were held in various members homes and the United Church basement. The group took it upon themselves to document the history of the Village of Naughton with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks from 1964-1973.
The Naughton Women's Institute officially disbanded in 1975.
Former Presidents of the Naughton Women’s Institute include:
Mrs. F. Hanna 1949-1950
Mrs. J. Blue 1950-1951
Mrs. H. Bennison 1961-1963
Mrs. L. Carlyle 1964 & 1966
Mrs. O. St. Louis 1966-1968
Mrs. F. Hanna 1968-1969
Mrs. H. Leblance 1970-1971
Mrs. E. Schmitt 1971-1972
The Naughton Women's Institute donated the scrapbook to the Walden Public Library in 1974. The Walden Public Library later transferred the scrapbook to the main branch of the Greater Sudbury Public Library who transferred the scrapbook to the Archives in 2010.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of a scrapbook created by the Naughton Women's Institute.
Immediate source of acquisition
ACC2010-010, Greater Sudbury Public Library
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item list available.
To research the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada Fonds, visit Library and Archives Canada and ask for R2976-0-3-E. http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/ourl/res.php?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&url_tim=2013-04-15T16%3A44%3A31Z&url_ctx_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Actx&rft_dat=105509&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fcollectionscanada.gc.ca%3Apam&lang=eng
Further accruals are not expected.