Fonds F 1452 - Mowat Manufacturing Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Mowat Manufacturing Company fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00329 F 1452

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1895 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1888-1895)

Administrative history

The Mowat Manufacturing Company was a foundry that produced grinding mills, plows, mowers, and other agricultural machines in Whitby between 1888 and 1895. The company was founded on April 6, 1888 and its President was Arthur Mowat. By early 1895 the company was unable to keep up with payments to the Town of Whitby so on January 9 the Board of Directors voted to dissolve the company. The Mowat Manufacturing site at 211 Brock Street North was the location of other agricultural foundries as early as 1854. By 1908 the facility was converted into a factory producing horse blankets and sweat pads. The buildings were eventually demolished in 1962.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of business records of the Mowat Manufacturing Company, including the letters patent, bylaws, and minutes of the Board of Directors. Most of the records form a single volume, but a few pieces of loose paper are interfiled in the pages of the volume.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Fonds was donated to the Archives of Ontario by the Town of Whitby in 1977. The fonds was daccessioned and donated to the Archives at Whitby Public Library, alongside the municipal records of the Town, in 2016.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright held by creator. These materials cannot be published without permission of the copyright holder.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area