Dossiê/Processo 2004.20.2.18 - Miscellaneous Papers of the East Durham Registry Office

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

Miscellaneous Papers of the East Durham Registry Office

Designação geral do material

  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

Nível de descrição

Dossiê/Processo

Entidade detentora

Código de referência

CA ON00154 2004.20-2004.20.2.18

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1870-1909 (Produção)
    Produtor
    East Durham County Land Registry Office
    Local
    Port Hope, Municipality of

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

0.03m textual records

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1871-1992)

História administrativa

The Land Registry Office in Port Hope was almost always located on Mill Street near Walton Street. Early on, it moved around between the houses of the registrar (Thos. Ward, and later Geo. C. Ward), to the Customs House. All this moving stopped in 1871 when a permanent home for the land records of Port Hope and Hope Township was built.
Kivas Tully, of Victoria Hall fame, was appointed to the Ontario Public Works Department as Chief Architect in 1868. In this new post, he was responsible for designing a new type of land registry building; one which could be reproduced multiple times throughout the province, and altered to each municipality’s specifications. The result was a small, deceptively complicated building, purpose-built to hold records.
In 1871, construction began on the East Durham Land Registry Office, to be located at 17 Mill Street North. The building consisted of three semi-cylindrical “vaults” or rooms, inside of a rectangular building. It contained two-foot thick interior walls, iron shutters, and a reinforced foundation; all assisting to make the building sturdy and fire proof.
For over 100 years the building stood as-is, with minor additions such as electricity, and running water; serving as the land registry office for East Durham County, and then as a branch of the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham land registry system.
In 1974, the United Counties disbanded and reformed as two separate entities: the Regional Municipality of Durham and Northumberland County. As part of the newly formed County, the role of the aging Land Registry Office system began to come into question.
Discussions of amalgamating the land registry offices and closing the Port Hope branch were on-going throughout the 1980s, until it finally closed its doors in 1992. The building subsequently became the Ganaraska Region Archives (now Port Hope Archives), 1994-Present.

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

File consists of nine (9) miscellaneous documents from the East Durham Land Registry Office, 1870-1909. It includes: (1) State of Pennsylvania, Affidavit for Cornelius D. Scully; (2) Order for Cornell Engine and Wide Awake Separator, John Hughes, Manvers and Robert McKee Cartwright, 1884; (3) Lease of dwelling, Jane Porter to Fergus Bruce Porter for Lot 12 Con 13, Manvers Township, 1909; (4) Rules and Regulations of the Janetville Cheese and Butter Association; (5) Good Templars, Mount Pleasant, Cavan, Grand Temple # 157, Certificate 1870; (6) Cooper vs Cooper, Writ of Summons, 1879; (7) Cancelled Drafts, Bank of Toronto, 1875. Stamped Bank of Toronto, Port Hope, ON; (8) Farm Lease, Jane Cavins to Foster Scot, Lots 15 and 16 Con 11, Manvers Township; (9) Note, David Quantrill, Harrietta Quantrill and James T. Clarke, Registered Hope township, 1897.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

Organização

Idioma do material

Script do material

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Materiais associados

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Idioma da descrição

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Géneros relacionados