Fonds F2627 - Melville United Church (Markham, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Melville United Church (Markham, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F2627

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1900-2005 (Creation)
    Creator
    Melville United Church (Markham, Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

43 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1925-)

Administrative history

Melville Pastoral Charge was established in 1925, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian; it included Melville, Bethesda, and Peach's. Locust Hill United Church joined in 1971 and the pastoral charge was re-named Melville-Locust Hill Pastoral Charge. On July 1, 1994, Melville and Locust Hill separated to form two single charges.
Melville United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist
Peach's United Church, located on the corner of 18th Avenue and 7th Concession in Markham Township, w. as established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Peach's Church was firs mentioned in the records of the Primitive Methodist Church in Canada in 1858 as part of the Markham Station along with Victoria Square, Bethesda, Birchard Town, Mount Carmel chapel, Bethel chapel and Lemonville. A church was built in 1864. In 1910 it became part of the Lemonville Circuit. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 as part of Melville Pastoral Charge. The congregation closed in 1964 and the property was committed to the care of the Peach's Community Cemetery Board.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Sunday School minutes of Peach's Methodist Church in Markham Township, 1908-1921; records, including marriages 1914-1946, of Melville Pastoral Charge (includes records of St. James Presbyterian) 1914-1946; Official Board minutes of Melville - Bethesda Pastoral Charge (includes Melville Church in Markham Township [now Markham], Peach's Church in Markham Township, Bethesda), 1926-1940; records, including marriages 1946-1990 of Melville-Locust Hill Pastoral Charge (includes Melville Pastoral Charge), 1928-1991;records of Peach's United Church in Markham Township, 1925-1964; records of Melville United Church, Markham (includes Melville Methodist Church, Markham, Peach's Church in Markham Township), 1908-2005.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Toronto Conference - finding aid 288

Associated materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.754L

Accession

2010.146L

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres