Title and statement of responsibility area
Medical Advisory Committee sousfonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of sousfonds.
Level of description
CA ON00343 OCI fonds-SF2
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital. Medical Advisory Committee
Physical description area
211 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Medical Advisory Committee held its first meeting July 23, 1975.
The Medical Advisory Committee was responsible for advising the Board on matters concerning the care of patients, clinical teaching and clinical research at the OCI, and on such matters as are from time to time presented by the Hospital Management Regulations under the Public Hospitals Act.
Some functions of the Medical Advisory Committee included:
• Providing supervision over the practice of medicine and dentistry in the Hospital, and reporting, in writing, to the Board, the President, and the Medical Staff Association concerning the practice of medicine and dentistry at the Hospital
• Taking reasonable steps to ensure professionally ethical conduct on behalf of the Medical Staff and to initiate corrective measures if needed
• Making recommendations to the Board concerning appointments and re-appointments to Medical Staff, medical privileges and extension of privileges, dismissal, supervision or restriction of Hospital privileges
• Appointing the Medical Staff members to all standing and special committees of the Medical Advisory Committee
• Naming the Chairman of each of the committees it appoints and ensuring that each committee meets and functions as required
• To receive, consider and act upon the reports from each of its appointed committees.
• Nominating physicians or dentists to Institute committees when provided for in the terms of reference for those committees, and receiving regular reports from the nominees on the activities of those committees.
The Medical Advisory Committee met at least ten times annually and reported quarterly to the Board of the OCI.
The Medical Advisory Committee was appointed annually by the Board and included the following voting members: Chiefs, of each clinical department in the Hospital with Active Staff members, Chair of the In-Patient Care Committee, Chair of the Ambulatory Care Committee, Chair of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Chair of the Radiation Services Committee, President , Vice President, and Secretary of the Medical Staff Association. Non-voting members included: President/CEO, Vice President of Oncology Programs, Vice President of Patient Care,
and the Vice President of Research.
R.S. Bush was the chair of the Medical Advisory Committee from 1977 to 1987. Subsequent chairs of the Medical Advisory Committee were W. Duncan (1987-1988), J.E. Curtis (1988-1989), R. Hasselback (1989-1990), B. Cummings (1990-1991), J. Sturgeon (1991-1993), D. Banerjee (1993-1994), T. Keane (1994-1995), and R. Feld (1995-199?)
Scope and content
Sousfonds consists of meetings of the Medical Advisory Committee and its various subcommittees, as well as supporting documentation for the minutes. Files are arranged in series by committee, and then chronologically by date, as per original binders. Files have been arranged in chronological order when possible. Not all series have been processed.
Sousfonds includes fourteen series.
SF2:2) Medical Advisory Committee minutes
SF2:3) Ambulatory Care Committee minutes
SF2:4) Budget & Finance Committee of the Medical Advisory Committee minutes
SF2:5) Clinical Trials Committee minutes
SF2:6) Computer Services Committee minutes
SF2:7) Infection Control Committee minutes
SF2:8) Medical Records Committee minutes
SF2:9) Operating Room Committee minutes
SF2:10) Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee minutes
SF2:11) Medical Audit Committee minutes
SF2:12) PMH Resident Committee minutes
SF2:13) Princess Margaret Hospital - The Wellesley Hospital Liaison Committee minutes
SF2:14) Admission, Inpatient and Discharge Committee minutes
SF2:15) Patient Education Committee
Immediate source of acquisition
The files of the Medical Advisory Committee were transferred from the Office of the Administrator to the Archives August 27, 1997.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions apply; see the series and subseries level descriptions for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
University Health Network Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Added to Archeion June 17, 2013. Last updated: July 29, 2013.
Language of description