Fonds - Maple Leaf Lennox Women’s Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Maple Leaf Lennox Women’s Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1914-2007 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

90 cm of textual records and graphic materials ca. 100 photographs : b&w and col 1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Maple Leaf Lennox Women’s Institute was founded on August 21, 1914 with Mrs. B. (Edith) Brisco as the first President. This branch was a part of the Lennox District Women’s Institute. Twelve members attended the first meeting. The Maple Leaf branch officially disbanded on August 21, 2002 due to age, illness, and declining abilities to carry on the work-load involved. The early years of Maple Leaf branch were eventful. In 1915, they funded the Domestic Science Course held in the Napanee Town Hall, which was well attended. During World War I, the branch supported the Red Cross by passing a resolution that each member was to save five cents per week to contribute and by raising funds for parcels which were sent overseas; they also made a contribution towards a Motor Ambulance. Maple Leaf was responsible for making 499 pairs of socks, 230 sets of pajamas, 25 quilts, 18 pillows, 391 towels, 369 hankies, 86 washcloths, and 12 sheets for the Red Cross. In the 1920s, the branch furnished and maintained a room in the Kingston General Hospital, which they continued to support for many years. One of the significant accomplishments by the Maple Leaf branch was the North Fredericksburgh Hall restoration project. They were also involved in the community by raising funds and contributing time. An annual donation created by the branch went to the “Mrs. Madeleine Fretts Maple Leaf Women’s Institute Award” for diligence given to a H.H. Langford Public School grade eight student. Other donations were given to the Lennox and Addington Interval House, “Pitch-In Week” with the school, Seniors’ Outreach Services, Lennox and Addington Hospital Foundation, and Lennox and Addington Mental Health. Also, the branch had an annual presence at the Napanee Fair. Larger organizations benefited from the efforts of Maple Leaf branch as well. Some of the charities were Children’s Aid Society, Manitoba Flood Relief, Navy League, Armenian Relief, Queen’s Endowment Fund, Aid to China, Sick Children’s Hospital, Jam for Britain, Salvation Army Food Bank, donations to missions to Haiti and Guatemala, and the Canadian Diabetes Association. The Tweedsmuirs of Maple Leaf are organized well and sorted by category. The categories within the three Tweedsmuirs are: World War I, North Fredericksburgh Hall, sports, Churches, history, cemetery history, schools, past and present industries, farm histories, 4-H Clubs, programmes, Women’s Institute 100th Anniversary, branch activities, home histories, township history, biographies of prominent people in the community, wedding anniversaries, quilts, and histories of organizations. A large portion of one of the Tweedsmuirs includes newspaper articles on the annual Lennox and Addington Dairy Princess. The last Tweedsmuir Conveners were Mrs. Jessie Wannamaker and Mrs. Marion Craig. The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Maple Leaf were: Mrs. B. (Edith)Brisco (1914-1918; 1923-1925), Mrs. J.B. Miller (1918-1923), Mrs. Fraser Lampkin (1925-1928), Mrs. Wes Cummings (1928-1932), Mrs. Carmen (Pearl) Day (1932-1935; 1942-1944), Mrs. Arthur Galt (1935-1937), Mrs. J.R. Ackerman (1937-1939; 1944-1946), Mrs. Fred (Grace) Perry (1947-1950), Mrs. Ed (Mary) O’Connor (1950-1952; 1953-1955), Mrs. Marshall (Clarice) Vanalstine (1952-1953), Mrs. Charles Gray (1955-1957), Mrs. Ruby McCulloch (1957-1961), Mrs. Walter (Lynn) Perry (1961-1963), Mrs. Earl (Lillian) Harnden (1963-1965), Mrs. Jim (Vera) Cuthill (1965-1967), Mrs. Everton (Ruby) Browne (1967-1970), Mrs. Francis (Marg) McDonald (1970-1972), Mrs. Don (Diane) Clement (1972-1975), Mrs. Larry (Marion) Wannamaker (1975-1977; 1987-1990), Mrs. Doug (Hilda) Magee (1977-1981), Mrs. Claude (Marion) Craig (1981-1983), Mrs. Doris Bornemissza (1983-1985), Mrs. Bruce(Barbara) Schnarr (1985-1987), and Mrs. Marjorie Lloyd (1990-1994), Mrs. Marilyn Herntier (1994-1995), and Mrs. Sylvia Miller (1995-2007).

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minute and cash books, Tweedsmuir History Books, photographs, house histories, certificates, and subject files pertaining to the activities of the Maple Leaf Women’s Institute. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Minutes Series 2: Tweedsmuir history books Series 3: Correspondence Series 4: Home and Country magazine Series 5: Reports

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records of the Maple Leaf Women’s Institute were deposited on permanent loan to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives in 1978, with subsequent accruals in 1996 and 2007. Loaned to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives from the Maple Leaf Women’s Institute the following accession numbers: 978.120, 1996.24, 2007.87.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Tweedsmuir History, volume I and II are available on microfilm in Reading Room of the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives.

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions may apply. Please see an archivist

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A RAD-compliant finding aid is available

Associated materials

Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Adolphustown Women’s Institute fonds Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds Bay View Women’s Institute fonds Camden East Women’s Institute fonds Cloyne Women’s Institute fonds Croydon Women’s Institute fonds Denbigh Women’s Institute fonds Ernestown Women’s Institute fonds Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds Hawley Women’s Institute fonds Hay Bay Women’s Institute fonds Maple Ridge Women’s Institute fonds Mill Creek Women’s Institute fonds Millhaven Women’s Institute fonds Moscow Women’s Institute fonds Mount Pleasant Pioneer Women’s Institute fonds Napanee Women’s Institute fonds Newburgh Women’s Institute fonds Reidville Women’s Institute fonds Tamworth Women’s Institute fonds Victoria II Women’s Institute fonds Wilton Women’s Institute fonds Yarker-Colebrook Women’s Institute fonds

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres