Title and statement of responsibility area
Machzikei Hadas Congregation fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
44 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Machzikei Hadas Congregation commenced as a small group who “worshipped in a home on St. Patrick Street owned by Mr and Mrs Goldberg. They met every Shabos, winter and summer, paying 25 cents per week dues. Then one High Holoday, they daringly rented a hall at the corner of Dalhousie and St. Patrick Street for one month covering Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kipur, and charging $1.00". In 1908, the 264 Murray Street former premises of Adath Jeshurun Congregation and subsequent soda water factory of Michael Fine, reverted to its religious roots when probably no more than 15 to 20 families in all bought the building for their first permanent Machzikei Hadas synagogue. A $1,800.00 mortgage, taken out on May 12, 1908, uses the formal name of the congregation. Henry Levine, tailor, Nathan Wolfe, tailor, Benjamin Natham(son),peddler, Max Friedman, shoemaker, Max Lachowitz, peddler and Abraham Apple(baum), carpenter. Leibel and Mendle Steinberg and Kseil and Abraham Applebaum worked on 264 Murray to transform it into a synagogue again. In 1923, the congregation purchased two homes owned by Oscar Petigrosky at the corner of King Edward and Murray Streets. The synagogue at 259 Murray Street opened in 1929. Rev. Baker served as cantor from 1910 until his death in 1945. Rabbi Reuven P. Bulka arrived in 1967 and continues in that post into the 21st century. Machzikei Hadas relocated in 1973 to a newly designed synagogue on Virginia Drive in Alta Vista. In its new locations it extends services to 500 families, including many youths, seniors, educational and public awareness programs. Machzikei Hadas congregation is the first synagogue in the history of the Commonwealth to be granted a coat of arms in 1994.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of material relating to 264 Murray Street and 259 Murray Street Synagogues including legal documents, 1959 constitution and by-laws, membership applications, contracts and lists, 1931-1970 Board minutes (in Yiddish), Rev. Nathan Borenstein 1957 contract, cornerstone list of members, undated; and 2310 Virginia Drive Synagogue (Alta Vista) including history and milestones, Coat of Arms ceremony and An unforgettable hour: Congregation Machzikei Hadas receives a Coat of Arms / Rabbi Reuven P. Bulka, 1997; 1975 Constitution; Sisterhood activities and 1949-1960 minutes; Newsletters, 1982-1986; Shuleinu, 1975- .
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available.
Further accruals expected.
Early history quotation taken from Sol Max. Retrospect and prospect presentation at Machzikei Hadas Dedication, Sunday, June 16, 1974.