Lutheran Church (Canada). East District
Parallelle vormen van de naam
Gestandaardiseerde naamvorm(en) volgens andere regels.
Identificatiecode voor organisaties
In 1849 and the early 1850s, Rev. J. A. Ernst, a pastor in Eden, N.Y. and a charter member of the German Missouri Synod, an American Lutheran organization, made mission tours into southern Ontario and assisted in organizing several congregations in that area. Initially a part of the Eastern District of the Missouri Synod, in 1875 they became part of the Northern District with Michigan. By 1879 they formed their own Canada District, later becoming the Ontario District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod in 1922. The purpose of the district was to provide regional governance and supervision for the pastors and congregations in the area. The Ontario District came under the jurisdiction of Lutheran Church-Canada when it was established in 1988 and in 1990, due to expansion into Quebec and the Maritimes, became known as the East District.