Fonds - Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1919-1975 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

67.5 cm of textual records and graphic materials ca. 50 photographs : b&w and col 1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Lennox District Women’s Institute was founded in 1910 with Mrs. D.H. Allison as the first President. Lennox District amalgamated with Addington to form the Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute in 1993. The Lennox District was comprised of numerous branches over the years. The following were branches which were within the Lennox District and each corresponding date of creation and disbandment: Amherst Island 1900-present, Adolphustown 1901-1995, Conway 1909-1942, Bay View 1913-1974, Maple Leaf 1914-2002, Napanee 1921-1989, Wilton 1925-present, Violet 1926-1942, Mill Creek 1926-1981, Ernestown 1926-1974, Bath 1928-1943, Roblin 1931-present, Mt. Pleasant Pioneer 1933-1978, Maple Ridge 1933-present, Victoria II 1936-present, Napanee Jr. Branch 1950-1953, Grandview 1951-present, Millhaven 1955-1994, Hay Bay 1960-present, Centennial 1967-present, Hawley 1967-present, and Mount Pleasant Jr. W.I. 1983-?. The main responsibility of the Lennox District Women’s Institute was to oversee the finances of each Branch under its jurisdiction and to hold annual meetings, as well as monthly Directors’ and Executive meetings. Lennox District achieved many things through its history by working cohesively as a group. In 1932, the Lennox District promoted consumption of Canadian goods for the betterment of Canadian industry. Lennox District was involved with relief work for World War II, such as fundraising for the Red Cross. They were also involved with the Annie G. Haggerty Women’s Institute Scholarship, which was established in the Kingston area when Mrs. Haggerty, a past President of Lennox District, was the Provincial President. A full list of recipients of the Annie G. Haggerty Women’s Institute Scholarship can be found in the Lennox District Tweedsmuir. The following types of reports were given at each Lennox District Annual meeting by a representative: Canadian Industries and Agriculture, Community Activities and Relief, Legislation, Education, Canadianization, Peace Education, Home Economics, Health, Publicity, War Work, and Historical Research. After the reports were given, a representative presented the resolutions sent in by each branch, and the whole District level decided the next course of action. A number of these resolutions were executed within the Lennox District, many directed towards the Ontario Government. A few examples were: a request to remit to municipalities two cents per gallon tax on gasoline as many communities found the tax burdensome, an appeal to enact wartime prohibition, and an appeal for a clinic in Lennox for children to get immunized against diphtheria. Tweedsmuirs were made at the District level in order to provide brief histories of each branch. This is especially useful as it is otherwise difficult to find multiple histories of branches in one location. The Lennox District Tweedsmuir contains the Constitution and by-laws, names of branches with individual histories, past officers, a life members list, scholarships, special projects and events, and programmes from annual meetings. The curators were Mrs. Robert Cumberland and Miss Louise Fairfield (1963-1972) and Mrs. Charles Young (1972-). The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Lennox District were: Mrs. D.H. Allison (1910-1912), Mrs. Bruce Robertson (1919-1922), Mrs. W. Haight (1923-1925), Mrs. James B. Miller (1925-1928), Mrs. Fred (Mary) Hamm (1928-1930), Mrs. Ernest (Isobelle) Wright (1930-1931), Mrs. Shore Loynes (1932-1935), Mrs. H.R. (Belle) Paul (1935-1937), Mrs. H.M. Johnston (1937-1939), Mrs. G.H. (Mary) Claringbold (1939-1941), Mrs. R.H. Benn (1941-1942), Mrs. J.R. Ackerman (1942-1943), Mrs. James (Annie) Haggerty (1943-1947), Mrs. A.M. (Lillian) Graham (1947-1949), Mrs. Bernard (Gertrude) Davey (1949-1951), Mrs. D.W. (Beatrice) Weese (1951-1953), Mrs. E.H. (Genevieve) Fleming (1953-1954), Mrs. Fred (Grace) Perry (1954-1956), Mrs. K. (Evelyn) Lipsey (1956-1958), Mrs. Andrew (Margaret) Compton (1958-1960), Mrs. C. (Annie) Milligan (1960-1963), Mrs. George (Vera) Collings (1963-1965), Mrs. James (Patricia) Moore (1965-1967), Mrs. Don (Eleanor) Simpson (1967-1969), Mrs. Clarence (Mae) Wayte (1969-1971), Mrs. R. (Flora) Pomeroy (1971-1973), Mrs. Richard (Stella) Hill (1973-1975), and Mrs. Robert (Dorothy) Brown (1975-1976), Mrs. Clinton Baker (1977-1978), Mrs. Douglas Clarke (1979-1980), Mrs. Grant Huyck (1981-1983), Mrs. Willis Morgan (1983-1985), Mrs. Lyle Smith (1985-1987), Mrs. Majorie Littlefield (1987-1989), Mrs. Lorraine Martin (1989-1991), and Mrs. Barbara Weese (1991-1993).

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minute and cash books, Tweedsmuir History Books, photographs, house histories, and subject files pertaining to the activities of the Lennox District Women’s Institute. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Minutes Series 2: Tweedsmuir history books Series 3: Programmes and notes

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records of the Lennox District Women’s Institute were deposited on permanent loan to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives in 1994, with subsequent accruals in 2000. The records received in 2000 were accessioned in 2009. Loaned to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives from the Lennox District Women’s Institute the following accession numbers: 1994.88, 2009.95.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Tweedsmuir History, Volume I is available on microfilm in Reading Room of the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives. The Lennox and Addington County Museum holds the Lennox District banner used before amalgamation (993.14.1)

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions may apply. Please see an archivist

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A RAD-compliant finding aid is available

Associated materials

Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Adolphustown Women’s Institute fonds Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds Bay View Women’s Institute fonds Camden East Women’s Institute fonds Cloyne Women’s Institute fonds Croydon Women’s Institute fonds Denbigh Women’s Institute fonds Ernestown Women’s Institute fonds Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds Hawley Women’s Institute fonds Hay Bay Women’s Institute fonds Maple Leaf Women’s Institute fonds Maple Ridge Women’s Institute fonds Mill Creek Women’s Institute fonds Millhaven Women’s Institute fonds Moscow Women’s Institute fonds Mount Pleasant Pioneer Women’s Institute fonds Napanee Women’s Institute fonds Newburgh Women’s Institute fonds Reidville Women’s Institute fonds Tamworth Women’s Institute fonds Victoria II Women’s Institute fonds Wilton Women’s Institute fonds Yarker-Colebrook Women’s Institute fonds

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres