Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
- Jenning's Conservatories
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Jennings House (37 Church Street East) is a heritage designated property. According to the designation report, Richard Jennings "moved to Canada in 1876 and settled in Brampton. His wife was Elizabeth Pratley. In 1878, Jennings opened a market garden business on the Etobicoke Creek flats near the southeast corner of Church Street East and Union Street. Within a few years, he specialized in flower culture, erecting greenhouses and producing award-winning chrysanthemums, carnations, violets, and other flower varieties." The family set aside six acres of land for an athletic field, which became Rosalea Park in 1894.
In "Acres of Glass: the story of the Dale Estate and how Brampton became "The Flower Town of Canada", Dale O'Hara suggests a date of establishment around the "turn of the [20th century] century", and notes their existence until at least post-Second World War. The family sold, with the greenhouses housing Russell Conservatories, which then sold in 1961 to Decar Developments, who built Parkside Apartments.