Showing 57 results

Archival description
Ontario With digital objects
Print preview View:

Brampton lacrosse team on field

Item consists of a photographic postcard of 14 members of a Brampton lacrosse team, likely the Brampton Excelsiors. A large building is in behind these players, possibly a greenhouse. Title supplied by archivist.

Halls: Odd Fellows'

Oddfellows Hall was located at the north east corner of Dundas Street and Clarence Street in downtown London. Main floor was occupied by Nordheimer Piano Company for many years.

Mount Hope Motherhouse series

  • CA ON00279 F01-S125
  • Series
  • 1868-2005, predominant 1929-1980

Series contains correspondence, deeds, photographs, and newspaper articles about Mount Hope Motherhouse in London, Ontario before its purchase and while it was operating. Earliest records include a report card from 1868, a letter dated 1869, and an original deed of land dated 1883. Records from the late 1920s to 1960s include original newsclippings. Many of the records are undated photographs, photocopies, or typed histories and biographies. The latest record dated 2005 is email correspondence.

Mount Hope Motherhouse

Hellmuth College/Mount St. Joseph series

  • CA ON00279 F01-S137
  • Series
  • 1853-2015, predominant 1976-2005

This series consists of contracts, deeds, plans, and newspaper clippings relating to Hellmuth College from 1866-1952. There is a general history and photographs of Hellmuth College. The series includes photographs of the Chapel and Motherhouse. The series contains a description of the layout of the Orphanage as well as information regarding the day-to-day routines. The series also contains notes on the process of purchasing the Mills property and written summaries of ecclesiastical events such as the Eucharistic Congress at Mount St. Joseph in July, 1923 and the visit of Cardinal Villeneuve in 1934. There are also special issues of the Western Gazette and magazine and newspaper articles, including a biography of Bishop Hellmuth, and the building of the new Motherhouse.

Hellmuth College

Diocese of London School of Christ series

  • CA ON00279 F01-S127
  • Series
  • 1943-1971

Series contains of bulletins, newsletters, and newspaper clippings discussing the School of Christ program. It also contains a variety of photographs depicting its participants and organizers. There is one audio cassette of Sister Mary Margaret Childs, director of the senior choir, talking about her memories of the program, and one vinyl plaque presented to Sisters Mary Margaret Childs and Maureen Dalton from a group of alumni.

Diocese of London School of Christ

Sacred Heart Convent series

  • CA ON00279 F01-S124
  • Series
  • 1914-2008

Series contains Sister Norita Keenan’s single page memoir, a postulant requirement list, souvenir booklet of the Diamond Jubilee, chaplain list, meal seating plan, farewell ceremony agenda and schedule, photographs, land and property maintenance receipts, property sketch, chronology of property transfers and sales, rededication ceremony program and speech, letter from General Superior to Sisters, decorative Christmas card and envelope with list of donors of a car, newspaper clippings, student created books, and Bach sheet music owned by Cesar Borre.

Sacred Heart Convent

St. Mary's Orphanage sous-fonds

  • CA ON00279 HF01-SF01
  • Sous-fonds
  • 1852-2015

This sous-contains fundraising documents pertaining to rural collections and the Orphans’ Festival which show that the Sisters needed support from the surrounding community in order to operate the orphanage. Articles, tickets, programmes, and receipts from the annual Orphans’ Festival show the importance the event held, not only to the Sisters but also to Hamilton citizens. Financial records further illustrate how much money was needed to care for the orphaned children. The account books detail the necessary items Sisters purchased to successfully run the orphanage. The fee books show how much parents paid to foster their children. These records also demonstrate the needs the Sisters had on outside resources, like government grants and surrounding community funding. Documents pertaining to regulatory compliance are also found, including the 1965 Children’s Institutions Act and Regulations which outlines the rules the orphanage had to follow in order to operate within the law. Correspondence on a variety of topics is also present in the collection, including finance, education, and daily operations. There are photographs which offer a “snapshot” into the life of the orphanage. These images depict Sisters working in the orphanage, the Orphans’ Festival, children’s communion celebrations, and the dining hall. The sous-fonds also contains records created by the Advisory Committee of Mount St. Joseph Orphanage. These records outline the types of work the committee did, including structural changes to the building. There are several summaries of the history of St. Mary’s Orphanage, and a brief summary of the history of Mount St. Carmel Infants’ Home. The registers offer significant information about the children who remained in the care of the orphanage. These list information such as the orphan’s name, date of birth, religious denomination, nationality, date of admission and discharge, date of death [if applicable], and who took the child after he or she was discharged. There are also registers that list information about children who stayed for day stays, as well as children who were moved into foster homes. The sous-fonds contains information about orphans who received their religious sacraments, as well as baptismal records. Also found personal folders and admission cards, which provide information about application and departure, correspondence and parental addresses and occupations.

St. Mary's Orphanage

Churches: Queens Ave. Methodist

This view includes houses and other buildings behind the church. Originally called North Street Methodist Church, street was renamed Queen's Ave. in 1876 with church name following shortly thereafter. The church burned down in 1895.

Results 1 to 20 of 57