The Fort William Street Railway line was originally built and operated by the City of Port Arthur. In a decision by the Ontario Municipal and Railway Board of 1908, the Street Railway was to be managed by representatives from both Municipalities until December 1913, when each Municipality would manage its own Street Railway service. A special committee was appointed by the City Councils of Fort William and Port Arthur as early as 1907. Six representatives were appointed from both Municipalities including Mayor Clavet and Mr. George Hodder (Chair) from Port Arthur and Mayor Murphy from Fort William. Mr. McNaughton, Municipal Clerk for Fort William, was appointed Secretary of the Committee. In addition to Street Railway concerns, this Joint Committee discussed matters relating to telephones, and the supply of gas to the two Cities. Minutes exist for 1907 and 1909 and one meeting in January 1910.
In addition to this joint committee, the City of Fort William established a special Street Railway Committee at a meeting of Council on April 7, 1908. In addition to questions regarding the Street Railway, the Committee was to address the question of the Mount McKay and Kakabeka Falls Railway Co. Members appointed were Alderman Oakley, Peltier, Dean and the Mayor. In January of 1909 Aldermen O’Donnell, Dean, Fergusson and Oakley were appointed.
Minutes remain for the period May 1908 to August 1909 and December 1913 to April 1915. By-law 1709, passed in 1915 discharged the Street Railway Committee as a Subcommittee of Council.
After the dissolution of the Fort William Street Railway Committee, the Public Utilities Committee assumed responsibility for the management of the Fort William Street Railway.