This series consists of the records relating to the planning, construction and opening of the Ayr Public Library's Carnegie building in 1911. Although the Public Library used part of Ayr's Masonic Hall in its early years, disagreements over space and rental fees led the Board to consider alternative locations for their collection. As Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate, was at this point offering grants for North American communities to construct libraries. Carnegie agreed to a grant of $5,000 for Ayr in late 1909, and throughout the year of 1910 the Board considered different plans for the library, enlisting Listowell architect W.E. Binnings to design the building and William Hallman to construct it. Construction finished in October of 1911.
This series contains blueprints and building specifications drawn up by Binnings, as well as the building contract and correspondence between the Board, Binnings, Hallman and the suppliers of books, materials, furniture and fixtures. Some of the correspondence is from other libraries looking to also obtain Carnegie grants for their own buildings. It also contains some photographs used by the board to determine how they wanted the library to look, as well as shots of the site that the Village had purchased to build the library upon. Lastly, the series contains speeches and documents commemorating the opening of the Library on October 31st, 1911.