Showing 1968 results

Archival description
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

30 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Oral History Interviews

This sub-series contains transcripts of oral history interviews and digital copies on computer disks. The oral histories are first-hand accounts of the Sisters’ personal, and religious lives with prompts and questions from the interviewer. The oral history interviews were conducted by Sister Marjorie FitzPatrick for the Federation. The oral history interviews of Sisters Noella Armstrong, Mary Doyle, Augustine Long, and Margaret Ferris took place in London, Ontario in November, 1992. Sister Cathleen Flynn’s interview took place at Morrow Park in Toronto, Ontario in March, 1993.

Originals and Copies

This subseries consists of an original piece of artwork depicting a globe nailed to a cross and a watercolour painting entitled ‘God so loved the world’, there are a number of copies of this painting. There are also photographic negatives of the piece of art by Sr. Margaret Ferris entitled ‘World and Cross’ alongside two photographs of this same piece of art.

Orphan Registration

This series is comprised of folders, data cards and envelopes relating to each individual child in care. The files and cards include orphanage application forms, correspondence about individual children, and vital records, including baptismal records.

Orphanage

The subseries contains Mary DeLoof’s memoirs of her life at the orphanage, including a description of the layout and daily routines. There are photographs of Mary DeLoof as part of the first graduating class of Catholic Central High School in 1951. There are newspaper articles about Isaac Hellmuth and some about the building of the new Motherhouse as well as "London City Life Magazine' articles on this subject. The subseries also contains information about Annabelle Leed who was an orphan, including photographs of her from later in her life and her obituary.

Orphans' Festival

This sub-series consists of various records dealing with the annual Orphans’ Festival. This festival began in 1853 in the Mechanics’ Hall. In later years, it moved into the Grand Opera building. The festival continued for 103 years, finishing in 1956. The orphaned and fostered children performed theatrical and musical numbers for the Hamilton community in order to help raise funds. The yearly festivals were successful, bringing in considerable amounts of money. There are two souvenir booklets from 1919 and 1920 which provide a detailed history of St. Mary’s Orphanage, as well as a list of festival sponsors. Articles about the Orphans’ Festival appear in the 1925 and 1926 issues of Catholic Magazine. These articles detail the importance of the festival. In the January 1926 issue, author F.E. Regan urged community members to attend and support the efforts of the Sisters. Addresses given at the festival also comprise this sub-series. These speeches show the spirit of the festivals and how popular and important they were both to the Sisters and to the Hamilton community. Ledgers of ticket sales provide a list of attendees, as well as how much they contributed to the event. Itinerary and sponsor information appears in the programmes. Receipts and invoices further show participating individuals and businesses, as well as their donations. Several festival advertisements and tickets also make up this sub-series. Newspaper clippings, photographs, and programmes are present in a large scrapbook.

Results 1301 to 1320 of 1968