- ON00120 015
This fonds consists of photographs and various textual material.
This fonds consists of photographs and various textual material.
The series contains booklets, information sheets, and newsletters related to Catholic prayer, rituals, and services in both independent and guided forms.
The series contains correspondence, newsletters, photographs, scrapbooks, postcards, diagrams, clippings, bulletins, brochures, programs, song sheets, posters, publications, dramatic scripts, and reports. This material is related to the history of the third Mother House of the Sisters of St. Joseph in London, which was called Mount St. Joseph. There is information about the construction of the building and detailed information about its special features and decoration, including the Immaculate Conception Chapel, and its grounds, particularly the Grotto. The records also relate to planning the construction of, and move to, the Sisters’ residence in 2007, and the sale of the Mount St. Joseph building and property. There are records which reflect communal life in the convent, including the various organized groups, events, and dramatic and musical entertainment, and menus and meal planning. The series contains records related to men religious who served at the Mother House, and other Diocesan correspondence. Information about both Fatima Hall and Ignatia Hall can be found, including the various uses of space in these buildings.
Mount St. Joseph Motherhouse
The sous-fonds contains policy manuals, newspaper clippings, intake procedures, photographs, scrapbooks, correspondence, meeting minutes, financial records, as well as the record book and cash book of the Fontbonne Auxiliary. It also contains information about the history of the building, the children who were at Fontbonne Hall and the people who were involved in their care. There is also information about how the purpose of Fontbonne Hall changed throughout its time in operation.
This series contains newsletters pertaining to the congregation. The early newsletters were generally written by the General Superior and addressed to the Sisters of the congregation. Some later newsletters pertained to the amalgamation of four congregations to become The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada in 2012.
This series contains the records of the committees, meeting minutes and newsletters. Newsclippings on social justice issues, particularly poverty and human trafficking but also including the London Housing crisis, women’s rights, refugee rights, indigenous rights, the 2001 September 11th terrorist attack, the 2003 War in Iraq, The 1997 Kyoto protocol, and the Israeli occupation of Palestine. It also includes intercongregational correspondence, photographs, correspondence with government and protest groups, fliers, brochures, and information leaflets on events and campaigns in London, Canada, and abroad.
This series is a collection of reference materials collected by the Sisters illustrating the history and foundation of the congregations in Canada, the USA, and France. This series illustrates Mother St. John Fontbonne’s life and work. There is a special focus on the history of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the London diocese. The series is comprised of publications, calendars, correspondence, news clippings, photographs, postcards, an international directory, family tree diagrams, and a watercolor painting.
Series contains of bulletins, newsletters, and newspaper clippings discussing the School of Christ program. It also contains a variety of photographs depicting its participants and organizers. There is one audio cassette of Sister Mary Margaret Childs, director of the senior choir, talking about her memories of the program, and one vinyl plaque presented to Sisters Mary Margaret Childs and Maureen Dalton from a group of alumni.
Diocese of London School of Christ
This series contains records that describe administrative data about the Sisters including their membership in the congregation as well as any occupational roles that they fulfilled in education and healthcare. These files include handwritten lists, typed lists, directory books that list all the Sisters within the congregation and their contact information, and a booklet of Sisters’ feast days and the Necrology for Fall 2011 that lists the most recent deaths within the congregation.
This series includes a variety of textual records and photographs related to the vocational activity of the Sisters of St. Joseph. There are correspondence, newspaper clippings, bookmarks, advertisements, pamphlets, brochures, program outlines, catalogues, registers, photographs, communication records, newsletters, bulletins, memos, minutes, advertisements, bookmarks, and booklets. The materials were created predominantly in London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta. The main function of the materials in this series relates to providing information as well as the administration of the formation process.
The fonds contains Auxiliary meeting notes, a donations list, a chronology of St. Mary’s Hospital, written histories, newspaper photos, newspaper clippings, invitations, correspondence, reports, a pamphlet, a publication, memos, a photo album, constitutions and by-laws.
St. Mary's Hospital, London, Ont.
Series contains correspondence, deeds, photographs, and newspaper articles about Mount Hope Motherhouse in London, Ontario before its purchase and while it was operating. Earliest records include a report card from 1868, a letter dated 1869, and an original deed of land dated 1883. Records from the late 1920s to 1960s include original newsclippings. Many of the records are undated photographs, photocopies, or typed histories and biographies. The latest record dated 2005 is email correspondence.
Mount Hope Motherhouse
This fonds consists of records that pertain to the House of Providence and Marian Villa. More specifically, it consists of histories, commemorative materials, and administrative materials. There are also records related to the Marian Villa Auxiliary.
House of Providence
This series contains records related to general roles and duties that Sisters held in their ministries. There are also records concerning specific professional roles, including homemaker, nurse, music teacher and teacher. Records take the form of handwritten and typed notes on the ministries performed by individual sisters in 1999, and lists of sisters that performed specific roles in the congregation.
The Dr. F. W. Luney fonds consists of 14 series (and 2 subseries) of records chronicling his scholarly beginnings as a medical student at the University of Western Ontario, his appointment as Senior Pathologist at Victoria Hospital, and the extent of his professional career as Clinical Laboratory Chief at St. Joseph’s Hospital until his retirement in 1961. During his career, Dr. Luney would enlist in the Canadian Army Medical Services Division during WWI, establish a Clinical Pathology Laboratory at St. Joseph’s Hospital in 1928, conduct extensive research in blood transfusion techniques, direct the opening of the Blood Bank Department and St. Joseph’s Hospital in 1945, establish private consulting services for smaller hospitals in southern Ontario, and create the Dr. F. W. Luney Fund to raise funds for the Medical Library at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Records of note include: well-maintained, original photographs of Dr. Luney and fellow classmates posing with a cadaver; records created to document body parts and organs donated to Luney’s private “Museum”; personal notebooks outlining his medical training and professional experiences; a selection of diplomas and certificates; records of his $5,000 donation to the Medical Library at St. Joseph’s Hospital; photographs depicting the two-person multiple syringe apparatus he invented; notes from lectures and seminars that he gave on pathology and blood transfusion-related subjects; and a 60th anniversary portrait of Dr. F. W. Luney with his fellow 1914 graduates.
Luney, Dr. F. W.
This sous-contains fundraising documents pertaining to rural collections and the Orphans’ Festival which show that the Sisters needed support from the surrounding community in order to operate the orphanage. Articles, tickets, programmes, and receipts from the annual Orphans’ Festival show the importance the event held, not only to the Sisters but also to Hamilton citizens. Financial records further illustrate how much money was needed to care for the orphaned children. The account books detail the necessary items Sisters purchased to successfully run the orphanage. The fee books show how much parents paid to foster their children. These records also demonstrate the needs the Sisters had on outside resources, like government grants and surrounding community funding. Documents pertaining to regulatory compliance are also found, including the 1965 Children’s Institutions Act and Regulations which outlines the rules the orphanage had to follow in order to operate within the law. Correspondence on a variety of topics is also present in the collection, including finance, education, and daily operations. There are photographs which offer a “snapshot” into the life of the orphanage. These images depict Sisters working in the orphanage, the Orphans’ Festival, children’s communion celebrations, and the dining hall. The sous-fonds also contains records created by the Advisory Committee of Mount St. Joseph Orphanage. These records outline the types of work the committee did, including structural changes to the building. There are several summaries of the history of St. Mary’s Orphanage, and a brief summary of the history of Mount St. Carmel Infants’ Home. The registers offer significant information about the children who remained in the care of the orphanage. These list information such as the orphan’s name, date of birth, religious denomination, nationality, date of admission and discharge, date of death [if applicable], and who took the child after he or she was discharged. There are also registers that list information about children who stayed for day stays, as well as children who were moved into foster homes. The sous-fonds contains information about orphans who received their religious sacraments, as well as baptismal records. Also found personal folders and admission cards, which provide information about application and departure, correspondence and parental addresses and occupations.
St. Mary's Orphanage
This sous-fonds contains materials related to the activities of the St. Joseph's School of Music, including rosters of staff and students, music festival results, sheet music, photographs and scrapbooks.
St. Joseph's School of Music
This fonds contains records pertaining to the activities of the hospital and its associated administrators, staff, and organizations, including histories, annals, financial documents, governance records, photographs of people, the buildings and events, and news clippings.
St. Joseph's Hospital, Sarnia, Ont.
The fonds consists of essays, annals, a memoire, correspondence, memos, minutes, reports, financial papers, newspapers, newspaper clippings, photographs, drawings, floor plans, fact sheets, orientation booklets, bylaws, yearbooks, speeches, programmes, invitations, cards, newsletters, posters, flyers, press releases, membership roll, and certificates.
St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont.
The fonds consists of yearbooks, photographs, newsclippings, a guestbook, an alumnae association booklet containing the constitution and bylaws, a pledge, photo albums and a diploma. The fonds also contains two large, matted photographs of graduating classes, a nursing kit, a crest and a nursing diploma.
St. Joseph's Hospital School of Nursing, Chatham, Ont.