Print preview Close

Showing 82 results

Archival description
St. Mary's Orphanage sous-fonds
Print preview View:

1 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Administration

This sub-series is comprised of application forms, correspondence about individual orphans, and children’s personal record forms. These forms detail information such as when the orphan was admitted, if they were baptized, date and place of birth, and family information such as parents’ names, occupations, and addresses. Correspondence includes letters with other orphanages about sending or accepting children from St. Mary’s Orphanage. There are also letters that detail financial and health information. A book of addresses also comprises this series. This book provides the addresses for parents who are fostering their children with the Sisters. There are also adoption papers, application papers, and papers listing admission and dismissal dates.

Correspondence

Correspondence on varied matters can be found in this series. A May 9, 1939 letter from Mother Marguerite to Hamilton Mayor William Morrison discusses the one year “experiment” where the Sisters placed children in outside foster homes. There are also letters which discuss financial activities. An August 6, 1940 letter from the Hamilton Community Fund to Mother Marguerite states that $5,000 was bequeathed from the estate of the Honourable George Lynch-Staunton to be used to help fund the cost of the laundry. There is also correspondence between the orphanage and the Catholic Welfare Bureau regarding an increase in grant money for institutions caring for children. A 1959 letter written by the Mount St. Joseph Educational Committee discusses the higher education opportunities made available to orphaned children. A 1987 letter from Sullivan, Festeryga, Lawlor & Arrell discusses the Sisters setting up an informal voluntary disclosure registry.

Donations

Four record books make up this sub-series. These provide donation information from the surrounding communities of Haldimand County, Caledonia, Cayuga, and Hamilton. In 1854, Father Schneider of Goderich invited the Sisters to come to his mission to collect food for the orphans. From that time onward, the Sisters visited surrounding rural communities to raise monies to help fund the orphanage. These record books provide a list of individual names and businesses and the amount of their donations.

Results 1 to 20 of 82