Fonds F1294 - Roncesvalles United Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Roncesvalles United Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Architectural drawing

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F1294

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Scale 1/8" = 1'

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

3.61 m of textual records
3 architectural records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(2016-)

Administrative history

Roncesvalles United Church was renamed in January 2016; it was previously known as Emmanuel-Howard Park United Church. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Emmanuel-Howard Park United Church was established in 1969 with the amalgamation of Howard Park United Church and Emmanuel United Church in 1969. It was located at 214 Wright Avenue, on the corner of Wright and Roncesvalles Avenue, between Queen Street West and Bloor Street West, in what was the Emmanuel building.

Howard Park United Church in Toronto was established in 1925. It was founded in 1908 as Boustead Avenue Methodist Mission and in 1909, the congregation was re-named Howard Park Methodist Church. In 1910, the congregation moved to a new, partially finished building located at the corner of Sunnyside Avenue and Marmaduke Avenue, south and west of Howard Park Avenue and Roncesvalles Avenue; the congregation remained at this location until 1969. From its inception, Howard Park was a mission church, and offered services among the working class residents of the Swansea district, especially recent immigrants. After World War II, many German-speaking immigrants came to the area and German church and social services were organized for them by Rev. Lautenslager, and later Rev. Rueger, of Howard Park United. In 1957 Rueger was appointed Missionary in charge of the German and Immigration Work of the Toronto Conference, with offices at Howard Park. There was a German Sunday School, a German Family Club, and German-language service offered at the church, which had a German congregation as well as its traditional constituency.

Emmanuel United Church in Toronto was established in 1961 upon the union of Erskine United Church and North Parkdale United Church; the congregation used the Erskine building. In 1969, Emmanuel united with Howard Park United Church to form Emmanuel-Howard Park United Church in the Emmanuel building.
•Erskine United Church was established in 1925. It was founded in 1886 as Ruth Street (now Fern Avenue) Presbyterian Mission, sponsored by Parkdale Presbyterian Church. In 1894, the congregation was re-named Fern Avenue Presbyterian Church and a new building was opened in 1910, located on the corner of Roncesvalles Avenue and Wright Avenue (the current address is 214 Wright Avenue), between Queen Street West and Bloor Street West. At this time, the congregation was re-named High Park Presbyterian Church. At the time of church union in 1925, the name Erskine was chosen in order to avoid confusion with another congregation with the name High Park. In 1961, Erskine united with North Parkdale United Church to form Emmanuel United Church in the Erskine building.
•North Parkdale United Church was established in 1925. Though it moved twice, the congregation was always located in the general area north of Queen Street West and between Roncesvalles Avenue and Lansdowne Avenue. It was founded in 1889 as Garden Avenue Methodist Mission and in the early 1890s, a new building was constructed on Galley Avenue, just west of Sorauren Avenue. This church was called St. Alban's Methodist Church. In 1909 a new building was constructed on the southwest corner of Sorauren and Galley, and the church was re-named North Parkdale Methodist Church; in 1961, North Parkdale United Church united with Erskine United Church to form Emmanuel United Church in the Erskine building.

Name of creator

Administrative history

North Parkdale United Church was established in 1925; though it moved twice, the congregation was always located in the general area north of Queen Street West and between Roncesvalles Avenue and Lansdowne Avenue; it was founded in 1889 as Garden Avenue Methodist Mission; in the early 1890s, a new building was constructed on Galley Avenue, just west of Sorauren Avenue; this church was called St. Alban's Methodist Church; in 1909 a new building was constructed on the southwest corner of Sorauren and Galley, and the church was re-named North Parkdale Methodist Church; in 1961, North Parkdale United Church united with Erskine United Church to form Emmanuel United Church in the Erskine building; in 1969, Emmanuel united with Howard Park United Church to form Emmanuel-Howard Park United Church in the Emmanuel (Erskine) building.

Name of creator

(1910-1961)

Administrative history

Erskine United Church was established in 1925. It was founded in 1886 as Ruth Street (now Fern Avenue) Presbyterian Mission, sponsored by Parkdale Presbyterian Church. In 1894, the congregation was re-named Fern Avenue Presbyterian Church and a new building was opened in 1910, located on the corner of Roncesvalles Avenue and Wright Avenue (the current address is 214 Wright Avenue), between Queen Street West and Bloor Street West. At this time, the congregation was re-named High Park Presbyterian Church. At the time of church union in 1925, the name Erskine was chosen in order to avoid confusion with another congregation with the name High Park. In 1961, Erskine united with North Parkdale United Church to form Emmanuel United Church in the Erskine building.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Emmanuel United Church in Toronto was established in 1961 upon the union of Erskine United Church and North Parkdale United Church; the congregation used the Erskine building which is located at 214 Wright Avenue, on the corner of Wright and Roncesvalles Avenue, between Queen Street West and Bloor Street West; in 1969, Emmanuel united with Howard Park United Church to form Emmanuel-Howard Park United Church in the Emmanuel building.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of Howard Park Methodist Church, 1908-1924; records of North Parkdale methodist Church, 1889-1925, including records of marriages 1897-1917; records of Hight PArk PResbyterian (including records of Fern Avenue Presbyterian Church), including records of marriage 1915-1923; records, including baptisms, 1941-1961, and marriages, 1930-1961, of North Parkdale United Church (includes Garden Avenue Methodist Mission, St. Alban's Methodist Church and North Parkdale Methodist Church), 1909-1961; records, including baptisms, 1910-1954, marriages, 1922-1958, and burials 1918-1957, of Erskine United Church (includes Fern Avenue Presbyterian Church and High Park Presbyterian Church), 1910-1961; records, including marriages, 1958-1969, and burials, 1941-1966, of Emmanuel United Church (includes Erskine United Church and North Parkdale United Church), 1941-1969; records, including baptisms, 1913-1969, marriages, 1920-1969 (including a marriage register for the German congregation, 1957-1959), and burial records, 1952-1969, of Howard Park United Church in Toronto (includes Howard Park Methodist Church), 1916-1969.

Notes area

Physical condition

Damages - requires restoration or copying

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-167: positive and negative; 35 mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.

Restrictions on access

Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use microfilm where available.

Finding aids

Toronto Conference - Metropolitan Toronto - finding aid 289

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Includes records from the former Fonds 1789: Erskine United Church (Toronto, Ont.), Fonds 1790: North Parkdale United Church (Toronto, Ont.) and Fonds 1791: Emmanuel United Church (Toronto, Ont.).

General note

Index of baptisms, marriages, and burials before 1925 available in the Reading Room. See publication Central Toronto West United Churches (formerly Methodist and Presbyterian), Ontario Genealogical Society.

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.074L

Accession

1977.479L

Accession

1977.480L

Accession

1977.481L

Accession

1977.482L

Accession

2019.080L/TR

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Canada

Institution identifier

ON00340

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2019.03/06; rb

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area