Fonds - History of the City of Kitchener fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

History of the City of Kitchener fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1853-2012 (Creation)
    Creator
    City of Kitchener Corporate Archives

Physical description area

Physical description

3m of textual records
45 cm of photographs
6 artifacts

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Custodial history

Berlin/Kitchener's history dates back to 1784, when the land was given to the Six Nations by the British as a gift for their allegiance during the American Revolution. From 1796 and 1798, the Six Nations sold 38,000 hectares of this land to Col. Richard Beasley.
Title of the Beasley land to the German Company was completed in 1805 and that began the influx of more settlers to the area from Pennsylvania. Immigration to the town increased considerably from 1816 until the 1870s - many of the newcomers coming from Germany.
In 1833, the area was renamed Berlin; and in 1853 Berlin became the County Seat of the newly created County of Waterloo elevating it to the status of village with 1,000 citizens.
With the rise of population, services began to arrive. A public stage coach service began in 1835. A post office was finally opened in Berlin in 1842. Soon after, weekly mail service was available and in 1845 daily mail was introduced. Mail delivery service began in 1907. Berlin received its first bank in 1853, a branch of the Bank of Upper Canada opened on Queen St. In 1856, the Grand Truck Railway rolled through Berlin. It brought passenger and freight service to the village. In the late 1850’s, new industries began to arrive and schools were erected. The first sewer was laid between Queen and Ontario Sts running into Schneider’s pond in 1859. By the 1869, the village had its first town hall and farmer’s market.
In 1854, the first Reeve of the village of Berlin was John Scott. Other members of council are Gabriel W. Bowman, George Jantz, Henry Stroh and Enoch Ziegler. The village became a town in June of 1870 with the population of 2,636. The first mayor of the town was William Pipe in 1871. The town had 14 small industries in 1870 and had grown to 92 industries in 1900 with a population of 9,676. The population expanded to 12,125 in 1906 with 75 industries in the town. Berlin became the first town in the Dominion to secure cityhood when the Federal census placed its population over 15,000 citizens.
On October 10, 1910, Berlin was the first town in Ontario to receive hydroelectric power from Niagara.

As the Town Hall clock tower struck midnight on June 10, 1912, a royal proclamation from King George V was read by the then Mayor of Berlin, William. H. Schmalz, proclaiming Berlin a city. There was a week long celebration of festivities taking place to celebrate the cityhood. By 1912 there were over one hundred industries and Berlin was the first city in Canada to manufacture furniture. It was also the centre for the tanning, shirts, button, collars, and felt industries.
The City of Kitchener Council on June 10 1912 was – Mayor W. H. Schmalz with council members: J.R. Schilling, J. H. Schnarr, J. S. Schwartz, W. V. Uttley, J. Winterhalt, G. G. Bucher, D. Gross, E. W. Clement, C. B. Dunke, W. D. Euler, H. A. Hagen, W. O. Knechtel, C. Kranz, N. B. Detweiler, W. Pieper, and C. H. Mills. Mayor Schmalz also designed the coat of arms for the city.

In 1916, the name Berlin was changed to Kitchener. The City was incorporated on July 3, 1916, with the official name change taking place on September 1, 1916. The mayor at the time of the name change was J. E. Hett with members of council: W. G. Cleghorn, C.B. Dunke, F. K. Ferguson, W. E. Gallagher, D. Gross, C. C. Hahn, J. Hessenauer, H. Hymmen, I. Master, J. Reid, A. E. Rudell, J. H. Schnarr, J. S. Schwartz, J. J. Walters and G. E. Zettel.

Berlin/Kitchener has been a growing and thriving community for over 160 years.
Founding families continue to raise families, original companies continue to exist, original schools are still standing and used by students.

The City of Kitchener is celebrating 100 years as a City in 2012. Many celebrations will be happening from June 9 2012 until the end of the year to celebrate is occasion.

Scope and content

Berlin/Kitchener's history dates back to 1784, when the land was given to the Six Nations by the British as a gift for their allegiance during the American Revolution. From 1796 and 1798, the Six Nations sold 38,000 hectares of this land to Col. Richard Beasley.
Title of the Beasley land to the German Company was completed in 1805 and that began the influx of more settlers to the area from Pennsylvania. Immigration to the town increased considerably from 1816 until the 1870s - many of the newcomers coming from Germany.
In 1833, the area was renamed Berlin; and in 1853 Berlin became the County Seat of the newly created County of Waterloo elevating it to the status of village with 1,000 citizens.
With the rise of population, services began to arrive. A public stage coach service began in 1835. A post office was finally opened in Berlin in 1842. Soon after, weekly mail service was available and in 1845 daily mail was introduced. Mail delivery service began in 1907. Berlin received its first bank in 1853, a branch of the Bank of Upper Canada opened on Queen St. In 1856, the Grand Truck Railway rolled through Berlin. It brought passenger and freight service to the village. In the late 1850’s, new industries began to arrive and schools were erected. The first sewer was laid between Queen and Ontario Sts running into Schneider’s pond in 1859. By the 1869, the village had its first town hall and farmer’s market.
In 1854, the first Reeve of the village of Berlin was John Scott. Other members of council are Gabriel W. Bowman, George Jantz, Henry Stroh and Enoch Ziegler. The village became a town in June of 1870 with the population of 2,636. The first mayor of the town was William Pipe in 1871. The town had 14 small industries in 1870 and had grown to 92 industries in 1900 with a population of 9,676. The population expanded to 12,125 in 1906 with 75 industries in the town. Berlin became the first town in the Dominion to secure cityhood when the Federal census placed its population over 15,000 citizens.
On October 10, 1910, Berlin was the first town in Ontario to receive hydroelectric power from Niagara.

As the Town Hall clock tower struck midnight on June 10, 1912, a royal proclamation from King George V was read by the then Mayor of Berlin, William. H. Schmalz, proclaiming Berlin a city. There was a week long celebration of festivities taking place to celebrate the cityhood. By 1912 there were over one hundred industries and Berlin was the first city in Canada to manufacture furniture. It was also the centre for the tanning, shirts, button, collars, and felt industries.
The City of Kitchener Council on June 10 1912 was – Mayor W. H. Schmalz with council members: J.R. Schilling, J. H. Schnarr, J. S. Schwartz, W. V. Uttley, J. Winterhalt, G. G. Bucher, D. Gross, E. W. Clement, C. B. Dunke, W. D. Euler, H. A. Hagen, W. O. Knechtel, C. Kranz, N. B. Detweiler, W. Pieper, and C. H. Mills. Mayor Schmalz also designed the coat of arms for the city.

In 1916, the name Berlin was changed to Kitchener. The City was incorporated on July 3, 1916, with the official name change taking place on September 1, 1916. The mayor at the time of the name change was J. E. Hett with members of council: W. G. Cleghorn, C.B. Dunke, F. K. Ferguson, W. E. Gallagher, D. Gross, C. C. Hahn, J. Hessenauer, H. Hymmen, I. Master, J. Reid, A. E. Rudell, J. H. Schnarr, J. S. Schwartz, J. J. Walters and G. E. Zettel.

Berlin/Kitchener has been a growing and thriving community for over 160 years.
Founding families continue to raise families, original companies continue to exist, original schools are still standing and used by students.

The City of Kitchener is celebrating 100 years as a City in 2012. Many celebrations will be happening from June 9 2012 until the end of the year to celebrate is occasion.

The fonds consists of photographs, maps and textual background and correspondence on Kitchener.

1: Historical Information– 1800-2012. - 2m, 34 cm textual records.

This series contains information and photographs regarding the history of the city. Also includes more current city information.

An index is available in Appendix A.

2: Photographs. – 1857-2004. - 40 cm

This series consists of photographs of Berlin and Kitchener including people, landscapes.

An index is available in Appendix B.

3: Maps. – 1856-2004. - 50 cm

This series consists of maps of Berlin and Kitchener including parks. Includes heritage properties drawings and registered plans.

An index is available in Appendix C.

4: Artifacts. – 1910-1954. - 40 cm

This series consists of a Conestoga Wagon, the city seal and signs.

An index is available in Appendix D.

APPENDIX A
Series 1: Historical Information

Title Date Volume/Item Box
The Story of Kitchener 2-1 10946
Robert Sutherland 3-1 10937
125th Anniversary of Berlin 1979 3-2 10937
Background on Hibner Park 1979 3-3 10937
Skating tickets 1900’s 3-4 10937
Iron Horse Trail 1997 3-5 10937
Official Plan 1953-1995 3-6 10937
Kitchener Information 1965-1996 3-7 10937
Planning Dept. Scrapbook 1962-1963 4-1 10949
Planning Dept. Scrapbook 1963-1964 4-2 10949
Planning Dept. Scrapbook 1966 4-3 10949
Planning Dept. Scrapbook 1966 4-4 10949
Planning Dept. Scrapbook 1972 4-5 10949
Annexation of Kitchener 1968-1972 5-1 10945
Official Plan 1975 5-2 10945
General History 1971-1975 6-1 11095
Information on People and Companies 1980-1981 6-2 11095
Data Manuals 1946-2009 7-1 11153
Street Guide 2000 8-1 10933
Postcards 1800-1925 9-1 10927
Newspaper Articles 1970’s -1980’s 9-2 10927
History 1936-1950’s 9-3 10927
Clock Tower 1995 9-4 10927
Kitchener 1965 1965 9-5 10927
Centennial Information 1954 10-1 11454
Entering the Millennium 1999 10-2 11454
Newspaper Articles 10-4 11454
Victoria Park Neighbourhood Plan 1989 10-5 11454
Crest and Seal 11-1 10911
Date stones 11-2 10911
Logos 11-3 10911
Clock Tower 11-4 10911
Lips Park 2004 11-5 10911
Facts & Figures 1980’s 11-6 10911
World War Two certificates 1930’s 11-7 10911
Twin City Directory & Official Guide of the Towns of Berlin and Waterloo 1907 1907 12-1 10907
Kitchener History 1954 12-2 10907
Conservation District Plans 12-3 10907
Recollections of 125 Years 1979 13-1 10908
Kitchener Profile 13-2 10908
Scrapbooks (9) 1971-1988 14-1 10903
Scrapbooks (6) 1972-1987 15-1 10902
Scrapbooks (5) 1970-1975 16-1 10901
Newspaper Articles 1993 18-1 10906
Publication 1952 18-2 10906
Promotional Packages n.d. 18-3 10906
Amalgamation 1955-1979 19-1 10171
Kitchener Logo n.d. 20-1 10168
Journal of the Town Planning Institute 1925-1928 20-3 10168
Herman Quirmbach 1900-1981 20-5 10168
H. M. C. S. Kitchener n.d. 20-6 10168
“A History of Kitchener” book 1937 21-1 10358
City of Talent: Kitchener Centennial manual 1954 21-3 10358
Demographic Trends 1996-1997 22-1 10165
Newspaper Clippings 1940’s – 1960’s 24-1 10143
Newspaper Clippings 1970’s-1990’s 24-2 10143
Newspaper Clippings 1960’s- 1990’s 25-1 10158
Kitchener 125th Anniversary Edition 1979 26-1 10124
William Lyon MacKenzie King 27-1 10141
Jacob Shantz 1989 27-2 10141
Kitchener’s 125th Anniversary 1979 28-1 10140
Promotional Brochures 1995 28-2 10140
“Sauerkraut and Enterprise” book 1966 30-1 12005
“Caring on the Grand: a history of the Freeport Hospital” book 1987 30-2 12005
Official Plan Review Guest Book 1992 30-4 12005
“Builders & Boosters, Kitchener Chamber of Commerce 100th Anniversary 1886 30-3 12005
Street Guide 1993-2000 32-1 10861
Scrapbooks 1960’s 34-1 11160
Scrapbooks 1957-1968 35-1 11161
Scrapbooks (3) 1961-1966 36-1 11187
Industrial Commission 1950’s 37-1 11190
Downtown Historical Info 1960’s 38-1 11191
Historic Background Info 1800’s-2000’s 38-2 11191
Background Information 42-1 11248
Articles on neighbourhoods in Kitchener 44-1 12264
Regional Museums 45-1 12458
Kitchener History 45-2 12458
People of Kitchener 46-1 12418
Photo Perspective 47-1 12419
Background Information 1950’s 49-1 11150
Incorporation/proclamation documentation 1852-1912 53-1 12593
Name change information 1916 53-2 12593
Proclamation to be County Seat 53-3 12593
Proclamation to Village of Berlin 1853 53-4 12593
Wards of Berlin 53-5 12593
Name Change 1916 53-6 12593
Official Plan 1800-1972 54-1 13392
Lord Kitchener Visit 1995 56-1 12855
Royal/Political Visit 1959-1980 56-2 12855
Flags/Banners 1954-2000 58-1 14191
150th Anniversary Flag 2004 59-1 14278
Name Change Information 77-1 13305
Berlin Celebration of Cityhood 1912 1912 79-1 12995
Preston & Berlin Railway 1908 80-1 13067
Lord Kitchener 82-1 11195
Scrapbooks 2004-2005 83-1 13456
Scrapbooks 2003 84-1 13517
Scrapbooks 2004 85-1 13519
Scrapbooks 2005 86-1 13457
Scrapbooks 2002 87-1 13458
Wills/Financial Records 1903-1916 95-1 10943
Background Information 1973-1991 95-2 10943
New Kitchener Logo 2002 104-1 10137
Promotional Material n.d. 105-1 12002
Creating a Sense of Place 1998-2000 106-1 11176
New Logo n.d. 107-1 10811
Edge Booklet 2006 108-1 11143
City of Kitchener Atlas 2001-2006 110-1 10725
Book – Lord Kitchener The Great Boer War 111-1 11249
Your Kitchener 2002-2006 150-1 10928
Cultural Strategic Plan Terms of Reference n.d. 152-1 10913
Birth & Death
Register 1933-1958 153-1 11170
Birth & Death Register 1987 154-1 9994
Lord Kitchener 2005 155-1 11142
Licensing Information 1988-1999 156-1 11778
People Plan 2003-2008 157-1 12102
Quality of Life report findings 2003 157-2 12102
Annual Report to Citizens 2005-2007 158-1 12544
Strategic Plan 2009 158-2 12544
Community Strategic Plan 2007 158-3 12544
Your Kitchener 2007-2012 159-1 12110
Culture Plan II 2004 160-1 10169
Publication directories 1971-2006 161-1 12992
Vital Statistics 1935-1995 168-1 13599
Council Member condolence letter 1954 169-2 13704
Copy letter in 1924 City Hall cornerstone 1924 169-3 13704
Cityhood Celebration 2012 170-1 13706
Heritage Room Mural 1993 170-2 13706
Cityhood website pages 2012 170-3 13706
Kitchener’s Century Celebration 1912-2012 2012 170-4 13706

APPENDIX B
Series 2: Photographs

Title Date Volume/Item Box
Old Post Office
King a Benton (negatives) n.d. 1-1 10948
161 Queen St. S. (negatives) n.d. 1-2 10948
Photo Album 1948-1968 1-3 10948
Photo Album 1951-1957 1-4 10948
Queen St. Streetscapes n.d. 1-5 10948
Twin Cities Industrial League Champions 1935 11-6 10911
Historical Photos (copies) 1800’s 13-3 10908
Photographs 1950’s 20-2 10168
Photo Council Chambers 1909 21-2 10358
Aerial Photos 1950’s – 1991 23-1 10164
William Lyon MacKenzie King 1999 28-3 10140
Photographs 1950’s 40-1 10925
Photographs 1800’s-1950’s 43-1 11862
Postcard 1900’s 47-2 12419
King St. 1930’s 47-3 12419
Photograph 1950’s 47-4 12419
Photographs 1980’s-1990’s 48-1 12284
Aerial Photographs 1999 57-1 14166
Aerial Photographs 1990’s 78-1 11843
Aerial Photographs 1960’s 81-1 13878
Photographs 1980’s 90-1 12419
Photographs 1980’s 91-1 13512
Photographs 1980’s 92-1 13521
Photographs 1980’s 93-1 13523
Photographs 1995-2004 94-2 13592
Heritage Properties 1982-1999 98-1 10915
Heritage Properties 1982 99-1 11291
Heritage Properties 1982 100-1 10914
Victoria School Teams 1923-1924 102-1 10909
Kitchener Downtown 1983-1984 103-1 10925
Lord Kitchener n.d. 111-2 11249
Downtown Kitchener 1930’s 112-1 10925
Victoria School class 1933 149-1 11192
Lord Kitchener 1995 151-1 10919
W. H. Schmalz – painting 1930 156-2 11778
Various family photographs (Gartung) 1800’s 164-1 12997
Goudie Family photographs 1931-1946 164-2 12997
Rugby Team 1953-1955 165-1 12458
Sod Turning (City Hall) 1920-1923 169-1 13704

APPENDIX C
Series 3: Maps

Title Date Volume/Item Box
Planning Map 1979 5-3 10945
Map “The Unique Centre of the Fascinating Grand River Valley” 1950’s 9-6 10927
Plan of Subdivision of Parts of Lots Nos. 6, 7 & 8 in Jacob Hoffman's Survey, City of Berlin (copy) 1915 10-3 11454
Aerial Drawing of Berlin 1897 10-6 11454
Map of Berlin 1892 17-1 P1
1912 City of Berlin 1912 17-2 P1
Town Planning Map 1925 20-4 10168
A copy of a plan of the Town of Berlin in the Township and County of Waterloo, C.W., 1857-58. 1857-1858 29-1 11097
Demographic Maps 1970’s 33-1 CH 13007
Berlin Maps 1879-1914 33-2 CH
Historic Maps 1916-1924 33-3 CH
Staging of Development Maps 1974 33-4 CH
Annexation Maps 1879-1992 33-5 CH
Street Map 2002 39-1 11683
Town of Berlin 1892 41-1 P1
Aerial Maps 1995 51-1 P1 9390
Topographic Maps 1995 52-1 P1
Registered Plans 1900’s-1950’s 55-1 P1
Heritage Building Drawings 60-1 14727
Heritage Building Drawings 61-1 14728
Heritage Building Drawings 62-1 14726
Heritage Building Drawings 63-1 9497
Heritage Building Drawings 64-1 9499
Heritage Building Drawings 65-1 9706
Heritage Building Drawings 62-1 10513
Heritage Building Drawings 63-1 10493
Heritage Building Drawings 66-1 10399
Heritage Building Drawings 67-1 10390
Heritage Building Drawings 68-1 9494
Heritage Building Drawings 69-1 9492
Heritage Building Drawings 70-1 9493
Heritage Building Drawings 71-1 9496
Heritage Building Drawings 72-1 11701
Heritage Building Drawings 73-1 13459
Heritage Building Drawings 74-1 13460
Heritage Building Drawings 75-1 13461
Heritage Building Drawings 76-1 13497
Book of Street Maps 1900’s-2000’s 88-1 13588
Park Maps 89-1 CH
Maps 1908-1997 101-1 CH
Reference Plans 1971-1974 113-1 11051
Reference Plans 1974-1977 114-1 9910
Reference Plans 1997-2004 115-1 9985
Reference Plans 1994-1997 116-1 11694
Reference Plans 1992-1993 117-1 11695
Reference Plans 1989-1992 118-1 10095
Reference Plans 1987-1989 119-1 9977
Reference Plans 1986-1987 120-1 10099
Reference Plans 1983-1986 121-1 10204
Reference Plans 1980-1983 122-1 13708
Reference Plans 1977-1980 123-1 11696
Expropriation Plans 1984-1989 124-1 11697
Waterloo Descriptive Plans 1970’s 125-1 11698
Maps – Property Ownership 1967 126-1 P1
Maps - Demographics 1961-1995 127-1 P1
Maps – Village of Grand Hill 1959 128-1 CH
Maps – Village of Doon 1857-1881 129-1 CH
Maps – Village of Bridgeport 1856-1974 130-1 CH
Maps – City of Berlin Zoning 1879-1914 131-1 P1
Maps – City of Berlin 1919 132-1 CH
Maps - Historic 1916-1986 133-1 CH
Maps – Election 1972-1988 134-1 CH, P1
Maps – Township of Waterloo 1883-1959 135-1 CH, P1
Maps - Assessment 1992 136-1 P1
Maps – Wards 1979-1990 137-1 P1
Maps – Staging of Development 1972-1975 138-1 CH
Maps – Official Plans 1992-1995 139-1 P1
Maps - Zoning 1930-1994 140-1 CH, P1
Maps – Land Use 1962-1987 141-1 CH, P1
Maps – Aerial Mosaic & Aerial 1946-1992 142-1 CH, P1
Maps - Annexation 1879-1992 143-1 CH
Maps – Street 1964-1982 144-1 CH, P1
Maps – Service Station 145-1 CH
Maps – Project Proposal 1967-1987 146-1 CH, P1
Maps – Corporate Study 1955-1972 147-1 CH, P1
Maps - Topographic 1954-1981 148-1 CH, P1
Registry Building Plans 1938 162-1 CH
City Maps 1973-1999 166-1 P1 13013
City of Kitchener Maps 1908-1997 167-1 CH

APPENDIX D
Series 4: Artifacts

Title Date Volume/Item Box
City Seal 1916 31-1 CH
Auditorium Dedication Scroll 1951 50-1 Auditorium
Artifact (cast iron stove) 1910 96-1 storage
Wooden Nickels 1954 97-1 10138
Kitchener sign n.d. 109-1 11206
Conestoga Wagon 163-1 Mayor’s cabinet

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

The City of Kitchener follows the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) regarding privacy of pesonal information; therefore, some records might not be accesible.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Members of the public or staff may request reproductions (e.g., photocopies, reprints of photographs, digitzied images) from the City of Kitchener Corporate Archives for personal use and are charged the applicable cost of the reproduction plus and delivery, shipping and handling costs.

Finding aids

A finding aid is available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

further accurals could be expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres